Turn signals

Reattasteve

On my 1990 the right turn signal works but the left doesn't. Is it just a bulb or the turn signal unit?

Thanks.

Reattasteve

Make sure all 3 bulbs in the rear are working. Assuming the bulbs are burning I would change the flasher. It is an inexpensive can type flasher on a '90 model that you can find at most auto parts stores. I think it may be hard to get to in order to replace it. Here are instructions for replacing it: Turn Signal Flasher Replacement

• Thanks 1

Having done this myself I would consider taking the drivers seat out.

The directions Ronnie provided are pretty good. If I remember right the flashers are in a bracket. You can pull them out of the bracket and they have extra wire to allow them to be pulled down. You hold the can in the palm of your hand and with your thumb and forefinger you pull the connector off the can. Install the new flasher by once again holding the can in your palm and pushing the can back into the connector. It is a feel thing as you really can't see anything.

Good luck.

I added the tip of removing the seat to make the job of changing the flasher easier to the tutorial. Thanks Dave.

I'm big, old and stiff so I would take the seat out before attempting to change the flasher. Removing the seat is easy and it should only take a few minutes to get it out. The instructions for doing it are here: Seat Removal Instructions

• Thanks 1

Well I worked at it over 2 seperate days. I ended up removing the metal plate also. I finally was able to see it but had one heck of a time prying it out so I could remove and replace it. What ever engineer decided to put it there out to be shot.

• Haha 1

I hope you didn't put the flashers back in the holders. When I had to replace mine I left them hang down as I wanted it to be easier the next time, and there was a next time. My sequential light modules failed and burned up the flasher when it went. I ended up swapping out the taillight harness as the modules were soldered into the harness and it was easier just to replace the harness.

Glad it worked out for you.

• 4 years later...

1990 Convertible...

So...I have been under the dash no less than 5 times trying to locate the cylindrical flasher (LED headlamp..highly recommended). I replaced all of the turn signal assemblies with LED's and, as expected, I need to replace the flasher module with a modern one that accommodates the LED setup. I clipped the zip tie holding a wiring module to get in there and all I can see on top of the steering column is a white plastic box for the ignition. Since I replaced my bulbs with all LED, no flashing takes place, but the hazards still tick. All I can hear from the hazards are the relays in the engine compartment and the passenger side of the trunk. But nothing under the dash except for maybe some electrical buzzing.

Edited by ReattaMondatta

I would replace some of the bulbs to make the flasher click. Then you can reach up there and feel around until you feel the clicking with your hand, then pull it down. If the directional flasher didn't work then use the emergency flasher and do the same as stated above. I would have the replacement flashers in hand before finishing the project [the reinstallation of the LED bulbs with the new flashers].

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1990 Reatta Convertible...so maybe different for some reason...

A-ha! I HAD to remove the instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate (pg.8C-3)...then the Knee Bolster (pg. 8C-3 & 8C-4)...this was a trick. Someone before me broke a LOT of connections attempting this. Thanks! Made it easier for me to remove. But now I have to do damage control. Ugh.

...then I had to remove the Instrument Panel Steering Column Reinforcement Plate (pg. 8C-5).

THEN the magic! Seat all the way back, towel over the door threshhold to "save" my back (it didn't save my back...I'll recover eventually). Two silver cylinders on the passenger side AWAY FROM the steering column. By the way...nothing to do with the steering column...and definitely not reachable without removing above panels.

In fact, even with everything removed, I had to push the flasher cans up, out of the spring clips, then remove the clips themselves (with needle-nosed plies and a flat-head screwdriver) to make enough space to work the cans down through the resultant opening.

I LOVE this car, but...uh...thanks Buick!

1990 REATTA FLASHERS-ITS A MIRACLE-THERE THEY ARE.JPG

1990 REATTA FLASHERS-PUSH THEM UP AND OUT.JPG

1990 REATTA FLASHERS-WIRE COLORS-FREE AT LAST.JPG

Edited by ReattaMondatta
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had to go through this myself although I did not think to remove the clips and re-attach down below the dash. That is a good idea.  these are great pictures too.

Yeah working on different cars, each manufacturer has their own stupid things you have to deal with.  This is  a good example of typical GM nonsense lol.  All in all I prefer GM's particular flavor of nonsense to other cars.  Ford is the worst imho.  Everything is designed with assembly in mind, even at the expense of disassembly ease (been my experience anyway). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Think most of the ease resulted from the SEMA lawsuit around 1970. Before that you needed very small hands and long fingers to get into a GM dash.