Cam sensor attention

tomsbuick

On my 1990 coupe i did a diagnostic code check and it came up with 41 which is cam sensor error and i have a check engine light on all the time but the car runs fine, never stalls and idles correctly. I wondered i can just keep driving it like it is? It really drives normal and runs smooth. Please comment before i have any work done. :rolleyes:

The code is probably a stored code from history, so there is no way of knowing when it actually happened. I would clear the codes and see if it comes on again. I also think someone mentioned that the code 41 is a catch all code for many issues, not sure if that is right but maybe someone can confirm that. I can't look it up currently since I am away on a trip for a few days.

Code 41 is for the cam sensor. It could be a connection, the sensor or more likely the interrupter magnet is/has failed. It does no harm to drive the car with a failed cam sensor. Depending on what the ECM "guesses" as the correct injector sequence may cause slightly less smooth running at idle and low speed. There are instructions on this site for diagnosing and repairing the magnet. Just for information, the little brother of the 3800, the Buick 3300 of the early nineties did not use a cam sensor and the injectors are batch fired, which is not exactly the same, but it will do no harm. The check engine light may become annoying.

On my 1990 coupe i did a diagnostic code check and it came up with 41 which is cam sensor error and i have a check engine light on all the time but the car runs fine, never stalls and idles correctly. I wondered i can just keep driving it like it is? It really drives normal and runs smooth. Please comment before i have any work done. :rolleyes:

The code 41 is a cam sensor error that is usually caused by the cam sensor magnet disintegrating due to age. It can also be caused by a a bad cam sensor or a dirty connection. The engine will start and run without the cam sensor signal going to the ECM. However, the cam sensor tells the ECM the optimum time to open the injector so it will coincide with the opening of the intake valve. Without that cam sensor signal the ECM still opens the injector but not at the ideal time for the best fuel mileage and performance. The check engine light will stay on as long as the ECM senses a problem with the cam sensor and a code 41 will be set. It won't hurt to reset the codes but I'm betting the code E041 will come back...

frogware, I believe you are thinking of a code E026. I consider it sort of a catch all for a lot of problems that can trigger it.

Sorry 2seater. You were posting while I was still typing.

No harm, no foul :D  I can't believe I was actually quicker answering, it has to be a first.