Good stuff for your leather seats

Ronnie

My seats didn't look bad for a weekend driver when I got the car but I always thought they could look better. Over the years I've tried a lot of different products, even some expensive ones, to help make my leather seats look better but none of them made much difference.

A few months back I ran into a friend that restores antique cars for a living. He learned to do it from his father who learned it from his father. They have done cars for some really famous people. I asked him if he knew of anything that might help remove some of the dark creases in my seats and improve the looks of the leather. He said I should try some Bickmore 4 leather conditioner.  I got it at Amazon. I don't know if you will find it locally or not.

It is easy to apply.  I squeeze some onto my hand and rub it into the leather, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then wipe off the excess with a microfiber towel.  After using it about once a week for most of the summer I can highly recommend the Bickmore 4. It has reduced the dark creases that were in my leather a lot and it gives the leather a shine that lasts. I was never able to get a good shine with other leather products. My seats were really dull looking and this stuff really helped. It has really made a difference in the way my seats look.  You should give it a try.

Although the Bickmore 4 is supposed to be a cleaner as well as a conditioner, I think the Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner that I previously used on my seats did a better job of cleaning the leather. You just spray it on, let it sit a couple of minutes and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Repeating several times will get the leather really clean. It is best if you use it on a warm day.  I didn't know how dirty mine leather was until I cleaned it with this product.

I'll put it on my Christmas list. My kids are always looking for ideas to get me something.

I'll put it on my Christmas list. My kids are always looking for ideas to get me something.

If you get it let me know how it works for you. Don't expect too much right away. It will probably take several applications before you start to see that is's working. I guess it slowly relaxes the creases in the leather and makes them less noticeable.

I saw this after research started from a forum posting :  https://leathermagic.com/general-motors-interior-colors/

I'm going to try it in the spring.  Spoke to them on the phone and they have stuff that they claim will fill cracks, soften leather, spray the correct color on to discolored spots and filled cracks and carpet, and also should help the fraying leather steering wheel on my '91.  Has anyone tried this product?

They sell a lot of products. Which ones are you thinking about using?

Looks to me like their products are intended to bring leather back to a "like new" condition. If you are willing to spend the money and time to do it they probably are great products.

The question is do you have a car that justifies the investment in those products. If I had a Reatta that I was restoring and the seats were the only thing that was holding it back from being a #1 car then I can see spending the money to bring the seats back to tip top shape.  In the case of my car, it has many flaws - paint defects, cloudy bumpers, and lots of aftermarket changes that make it my vision of what a Reatta should be. All of which hurt the value of the car.

The Bickmore 4 leather conditioner improved the looks of my seats and it is cheap enough that I can justify spending the money on my old Reatta. If you are looking for something closer to perfection those products might be the way to go. If you try the other products let us know how they work out for you.

Hi Ronnie: The product I mentioned above comes in a kit....it fills cracks, "paints" the leather the proper color (and restores the steering wheel with the same "paint", and softens the leather. Another kit sprays on the carpet to restore fading. Each of the kits is about $50 give or take. I tried this stuff on the bumpers https://www.everbritecoatings.com/aluminum.htm and was happy-ish with the results (you must follow instructions exactly) - this was about $30. Repainted the wheels myself, paint and tape cost was about $40. I need to keep costs low and I know I'm never gonna have a show car with this Reatta, but I love the journey toward making mechanically sound and getting it looking good. I love Buicks, and I'm not gonna lie, I would darn near sell my soul for an 80's Skyhawk T-Type, but my little green Reatta has earned its place in my auto-heart