Brake issue with the Black

DAVES89

This morning my wife and I jumped in the Black to do a bit of shopping. I start the car and immediatly get a brake warning on the CRT, although the brakes felt fine, but the red and amber brake light wouldn't go out.

I decided to drive around the block trying the brakes by stopping normally. After about the 3rd time stopping the brake pedal got "hard" and I said "Back to the garage and we''ll take your car".

While we were shopping for other items I picked up a pint of brake fluid as I was low at home.

So after getting back I started in. 

First test; Does the pump/motor run? Turned the key to the "on" position, no pump/motor does not run.

Second test; Rather then just swap out the pressure switch I used a pump/motor plug that I have and plugged that in and set my battery charger to 2 amps and tested to see if the pump/motor runs now that I have bypassed the pressure switch.

Runs great so now I know I need a pressure switch. Go to my back up parts, grab a pressure switch, swap it in [after pumping the brakes to remove the pressure in the system] and turn the key to "on". Pump/motor runs until system is satisfied and shuts off. I turn the car off and pump the brakes until "hard" again and start the car. Red/Amber warning lights come on like normal [no warning through the CRT] and runs for about 40 seconds, warning lights turn off and all is good. Total time about 30 minutes.

All parts in inventory so no "down time" which is good because Tuesday I will have about a 200 mile day running appointments.

I use my cars daily so I cannot be without parts to keep me going. 

As parts houses do not carry parts for our cars for immediate pick up I just this week from Rock Auto ordered close outs of the following;

Front and Rear Hub Assemblies, Lower Ball Joint, Tie Rod, Fuel Filter. I have in inventory Front and Rear Brake Pads and Rotors and extra Front and Rear Calipers. And then of course all the Reatta exclusive parts. 

I am 61 and have 3 Reattas and hope to have at least one for as long as I can drive so this in my opinion is a great investment.

Hello Dave,

own a Reatta and you will soon be a passenger car brake system expert.

I

Dave, be glad you have access to the parts so you can maintain your inventory. Parts like that are scarce around here. :)

Well the Black is challenging me with a oily fluid leak. I will put the car up on blocks for a look see tomorrow to see what it is. I know it is not antifreeze or transmission but could be either oil pan [don't think so] or rack and pinion or power steering pump. I am hoping for the steering pump as I don't want to deal with the rack.

If it is the rack any opinion on a additive for the rack to seal it up?

Haha... No but my car does the same thing every now and then - about two or three times a year. I've never been able to pin-point the source but it seems to come from the passenger side. What drips out of mine seems to be gasoline mixed with dirty oil. It dissolves the sealer on the garage floor and it won't wipe off leaving a black spot. If you find what it is let me know. :)

It does leak on the passenger side. It's dry in the radiator area so I ruled out tranny fluid. I also checked the level in the transmission and it was good. Other then the front brake line [which is new] there is no way it can be brake fluid and besides it is too dark for that. The only thing I can think of is the power steering pump or the rack. I will also look around the engine to be sure it isn't something else, but ALL the fluids seem to be at the right level.

I even went on the CRT and checked the systems page and checked the fluid levels there as well.

If it is the Rack Lucas makes a good power steering stop leak/conditioner that works really well. It doesn't have any of that stupid aluminum seal stuff or any harmful additives.

Best I can tell it is the oil pressure switch. All kinds of oil on it and below. Nothing above it.

So I went on line and everyone [Rock Auto, Advance, Amazon, Ebay] have the switch for $31.00. I kept thinking I had one in my inventory, but no luck. While I'm looking I get a call from my son in law who wants to go junking at Gibson's. So after buying him lunch off we go. He's looking for a replacement mirror for his Chev Impala and I decide to look at the last Reatta Kdirk and I parted out and junked.

The guy we bought the Reatta from had a noise [it was the harmonic balancer] and threw a lot of parts at before the cradle bushings gave way. I had already grabbed the brand new water pump, power steering pump, alternator [and a lot of other good used parts] before we junked it and thought why not take a look at the pressure switch? Well it also was like new.

So I got the switch and the replacement outside mirror glass for $10.00 [which my son in law paid for as I bought lunch].

Pretty good deal...

Glad to hear it was something simple. I might look for my drips over the winter. I hope it is something that simple.

Got the pressure switch swapped out. Gave me a bit of a problem as the aftermarket one was taller. Have the unit in and no leaks so at least it is in tight enough. Will have to wait awhile and look for any seepage.

On another note last winter the driver's side cross member where it holds the door lock actuator broke due to metal fatigue. So I have been unable to lock the car which is fine by me, as in my opinion Reata parts are more expensive then anything I keep in the car.

Anyway the passenger door locks were starting to act up [wouldn't always travel enough to allow the door latch to open the door]so I just removed the inner door panel and disconnected the actuator.

While I hive tried to keep all the "systems" operational on my Reattas I have decided that this Reatta [the Black] is a winter only car and is not worth trying to keep some things working while in a unheated garage.