1990 on-board diagnostics

epssax

Yesterday I posted a TPS problem and learned there is a diagnostic tool on my 1990.  I read two codes and erased them, 021, 022.  They had to do with not having the TPS sensor adjusted correctly and a mis-wiring of a new pigtail issue.

I have this question:  Can this on-board diagnostic feature do 'real time' numbers.  In the previous post it was referred to but I have not read or learned how to do that.  

I have a friend whose brother might sell me an ITC scan tool with the buick cartridge.  At any rate we can borrow it.  It is 200 miles one-way to go get it.  If the Reatta can do real time scans do I really need this ITC tool?

The onboard diagnostics will tell you about everything you need to know. This is the page that has the data on cars with a CRT. You should read through the entire booklet to get familiar with the onboard diagnostic system. Someone will have to chime in to tell you how to retrieve the data on your '90 model but it is possible to do it.

I wish I had a better way to scan the six pages I have laminated from the FSM. I will try to take pics of them unless someone has them handy. Ronnie is correct, the non-crt cars do have similar capabilities and are accessed from the climate control, with the information displayed in the odometer and climate control, but the crt cars do have better detail. Almost all of the information is available "on-the-fly" except for some of the overrides, so real-time information is available. In the most basic sense, press off and temp.up on the climate control at the same time and hold for 2 seconds. The entire IPC will light up and then start displaying codes in the odo. area. The SES light will flash continuously while in diagnostics. The fan up and down are the controls used to move forward and back during the selection process. You can't hurt the car by trying it out and to exit diagnostics either turn the key off or press Bi-Level

Thanks Ronnie, I appreciate your help getting the info out there.

Happy to do it. I  hope using the instructions is easier than it seems when I read them. I think accessing the diagnostics would be much easier.

Happy to do it. I  hope using the instructions is easier than it seems when I read them. I think accessing the diagnostics would be much easier.

There is no doubt the crt is easier and has more complete information, but it actually works just fine. It's one of those things that becomes second nature but does require some concentration at first to get comfortable with it. All the complicated looking crossing lines and such is because of the normal displays doing double duty. It actually only requires the fan up-down switch to move just about anywhere in the system but it is all in sequence so no direct selection is possible. I can, and do, access mine while driving on occasion.