Brake fluid flush - Lite

Ronnie

My brake fluid was slightly low due to swapping out some accumulators recently. I didn't pump the brake pedal enough before removing one of them and some fluid sprayed out. The reservoir was down about 3/16" and only needed to be topped off but I said to myself. "why not do it the hard way?" ;)

I decided to see how much old fluid I could get out of the reservoir before adding new fluid. To my surprise I was able to get what I estimated to be 14-16 oz. out using my vacuum pump with a container attachment. It wasn't easy to get a tiny 1/8" soft tube down into the reservoir. I could only find a tiny slot in the rear of the reservoir where the tube would go in. I guess it is made that way on purpose so no objects could fall inside. The tube will only go in about three inches and then it hits something in the reservoir that prevents it from going in any deeper.

You can see in the first photo the setup I used to get the fluid out. In the second photo you can see that the lowest I could draw down the fluid was at the seam in the bottom of the reservoir.

I know this is a half-ass way of flushing the brake fluid but it is better than nothing. I plan to do a complete brake flush and bleed this winter when it's too cold to drive. That will probably be in December or January.

SAM_3885.thumb.JPG.1f8e4258deddb001270a8222787619fb.JPG

SAM_3887_LI.thumb.jpg.4200f5f94d49ef902247bd3b483dd05c.jpg

I know this is a half-ass way of flushing the brake fluid but it is better than nothing. I plan to do a complete brake flush and bleed this winter when it's too cold to drive. That will probably be in December or January.

I did mine with a turkey baster syringe.