Headlights...Delayed reaction!!!

Frogware

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the thread or maybe it got lost when we switched over.

Anyways, lately when I turn on my headlights it will take a few MINUTES to pop up and it is getting worse.  The doors aren't slow when they do pop up its just a delayed reaction. And the lights themselves come ON as soon as I push the button.

Does anyone know what would cause this and if there is a fix for it. Any input would be great!

Thanks

-Scott

Are both headlights doing it? Do they both pop up at the same time when they do open?

Are both headlights doing it? Do they both pop up at the same time when they do open?

Yes both are doing it and both pop up at the same time....Weird???

I have heard of this sort of thing somewhere, but darned if I can remember when/where. I am pretty sure it is usually delayed closing which I believe is due to the need for the module to see ground through the headlight filament. Maybe the reverse is true?

I'm only guessing but I would check the wires at the headlight plug in particular the driver's side. You may see fraying, or if you are lucky a poor connection. By the way are the wires run correctly.

I'm only guessing but I would check the wires at the headlight plug in particular the driver's side.  You may see fraying, or if you are lucky a poor connection. By the way are the wires run correctly.

I will try that, and yes they are run correctly (over the top of the housing) and upon a quick visual check they are not being pinched, but maybe it is hidden.

Thank You everyone for the suggestions I will post any results or fixes. I was planning to replace the burned out parking lights this week, looks like I will have to troubleshoot the headlights while I am at it.

If I can I will try to take a video and post it...It is like something out of the Sci-Fi realm.

The photo below shows what you should be looking for. A broken wire can be hard to spot. As you can see it is possible to open the connector to repair a broken wire.

headlight_wire_routing-4.jpg.4f0823cd1c98f006db3673b67e22462e.jpg

I went against the accepted way of running the wires to the headlights. After looking at it for a long time - after repairing a broken wire which was routed the normal way, I decide to have my wires go straight down behind the light as shown in the photo. If done correctly there is no twisting or bending at the connector. The wires just go up and down with the headlights. I did a lot of testing by opening and closing the doors, and observing the motion of the wires, before I decided to do it that way. I'm not recommending that anyone do it. I'm just pointing out how I did it.

headlight_wire_routing-2.jpg.459f720aa11e9fc55b61451f15042b39.jpg

I will try that, and yes they are run correctly (over the top of the housing) and upon a quick visual check they are not being pinched, but maybe it is hidden.

Check grounds G100 and G102 while you're at it. It could be a bad ground causing it.

587x587http://reattaowner.com/roj/images/thumbnails/images/stories/articlephotos/ground_junction_block-1-fit-550x550.jpg[/img]

I went against the accepted way of running the wires to the headlights. After looking at it for a long time - after repairing a broken wire which was routed the normal way, I decide to have my wires go straight down behind the light as shown in the photo. If done correctly there is no twisting or bending at the connector. The wires just go up and down with the headlights. I did a lot of testing by opening and closing the doors, and observing the motion of the wires, before I decided to do it that way. I'm not recommending that anyone do it. I'm just pointing out how I did it.

The Red and Black have both relay harness's in them so I routed the wires like you did. The Black has the Truck Lite LED bulbs in them which come with short pigtails so "down the front" is the only way to go.

Thank you both so much that is some very good info. My only concern now is my son borrowed my soldering iron a few weeks ago and he was having issues with it so hopefully I won't need it, otherwise I will be getting a new one.

Okay! So I started working on the lights today and wouldn't you know it the headlights are now working great :huh:  But I will still check out the wiring to make sure it isn't breaking or fraying.

Now on to the matter at hand, I took out the drivers side parking light housing and started repair on the broken orange globe then I started replacing the light bulbs. When I switched on the parking lights I was like what is wrong now!!!

The blinker light does not light (Standby) but it will blink. I switched out the bulbs with several new ones and still the same result. The passenger side works other than I haven't started on it yet. I took a couple pics does anyone know off hand what would cause this? Yes I am using the stock GM 890 bulbs

Edit: Oh I measured the voltage at the light and it is 0.0v but when I unplug it and test it at the plug contacts it reads 11.58v

Thanks!

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.thumb.JPG.c54bbd9c90e1de0505220d3586153763.JPG

Swap the relays that are in the relay center under the hood. I think that is your problem.

Swap the relays that are in the relay center under the hood. I think that is your problem.

S U C C E S S !!! :D  Thanks Dave!

That is interesting can you explain this, why does one relay work in one position but not in the other?

If I told you then what would you need me for? Actually I don't know, but I didn't figure this out on my own. Kendall my mechanic friend told me to try this when I had the exact same problem and it worked for me..

... I took out the drivers side parking light housing and started repair on the broken orange globe then I started replacing the light bulbs. When I switched on the parking lights I was like what is wrong now!!!

The blinker light does not light (Standby) but it will blink. I switched out the bulbs with several new ones and still the same result. The passenger side works other than I haven't started on it yet. I took a couple pics does anyone know off hand what would cause this?

I know you solved the problem already but what is bugging me is why you showed us a picture of the passenger side that you say works when you said the drivers side was the one that was giving problems. I must be reading your post incorrectly. :)

I know you solved the problem already but what is bugging me is why you showed us a picture of the passenger side that you say works when you said the drivers side was the one that was giving problems. I must be reading your post incorrectly. :)

Hi Ronnie, Sorry Yeah I was trying to show the difference between the left & right. You are correct the passenger side was sort of working correctly. At any rate I am just happy that both sides work now.

If I told you then what would you need me for?

Ha Ha Ha :D  What would we do without you Dave.

Thanks Again!

Although I wasn't fishing for compliments. thanks.

I put many miles on my cars so I have already dealt with the issues miles ago that some are dealing with now. Overall these are very well designed, built cars using great parts. I am of the opinion that if the cars wiring isn't "chopped up" they are somewhat easy to fix. My standard rule is that it usually is not the wiring but the end component ie. CRT, IPC, or in your case either a plug or relay. If you keep that thought in the back of your mind as you work on your issue it gets easier.

That is why with 3 cars when one part breaks on one car I buy two to replace it. One to put on the car and one to have ready when the next car has the same issue. This works for me as I have 3 cars but may not work for someone else with just one, especially if they seldom drive the car. Remember I use one of my cars every day, so issues are bound to happen, but having my own Reatta parts warehouse and Gibson's 3 miles away sure helps to keep me on the road.

And after 10 years and 250,000 plus miles of mine own plus the 100,000 miles plus that were on each car when I bought them the total equals about 600,000 miles I should be expected to have an idea of what is wrong.

We also have a great resource in Ronnie [and others] and his "How to" section to help us with the most common of repairs.

We are fortunate to have him...