Corvette Exhaust on Reatta?

Dfk88

So I've always seemed to have this weird fascination with combining different parts or brands of the same part in really all facets of life.

On the topic of cars I always wanted to make an engine with all the "signature" parts of each car company. I.E. hemi block/pistons, Pontiac tri-power carb, you guys get the point.

With my reatta at first I wanted to do some flowmaster/magnaflow mashup but then I thought Id rather keep it GM. So then I set my eyes on maybe a vette or camaro exhaust because I don't really want it super loud or anything I just like to hear a nice sounding exhaust note. I was even thinking maybe a grand national exhaust although I have no idea how they sound. Basically my question is have any of you guys put new exhaust systems on your reattas? I definitely don't want it to be one of those annoying really loud integras that you see driving down the road I just want it to sound a bit meaner.

I don't think a muffler cares too much what brand of car it is on :)  The GN certainly doesn't sound like much unless opened up and driven with fury. The turbocharger knocks a lot of energy from the exhaust pulses, so there is less to "muffle".  I run a 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow with a single 2.75" outlet, which sounds right to me, but I have a turbo on half, or all, of the engine. Several people have done dual exhaust conversions using Camaro style mufflers so hopefully they will chime in. It's all a matter of personal taste, not only the sound, but the appearance as well

I have owned several of the C4 Corvettes (1984-1996) over the years.  I changed out the exhaust/mufflers on all of them as the stock ones are very quiet and do not sound muscular at all.

There are a few sources that I have used for exhausts but I like the Corvette Central Magnaflow mufflers the best.  They are not obnoxious and have that low muscular sound.

You can find some used systems at a place called Vette2Vette too.

Corvette Central also makes a chambered exhaust system that is light and does not involve a muffler.  Those sound great with a V8 but I never bought one of them.  Check out their on line catalog.

Beware of the dreaded "Corvette tax" from almost all of the Corvette parts suppliers though.

Thanks guys, this is a project way down the line for me because I still just need to get the engine running in top condition, I'm getting 13 MPG so I've got a bit of work to do, I also need a new driver side seatbelt and passenger door/fender, it's definitely a project car but also will be my daily driver as soon as I find a job. But eventually I'd really like to put a decent amount of money into it and turn it into a weekend car.

Oh to be young and have energy. At my age if it muffles I leave it alone. However that is not what you want to hear so I will tell you that you can use a camaro muffler with our exhaust system and tail pipes but you must do some adapting to get the tail pipes to fit [The Reatta tail pipe is a smaller diameter]. I wanted to keep the Reatta tail pipe as the tail pipes have the hanger needed to keep the exhaust system in the correct place.

It has a bit more "rumble" then stock which is what you are after.

Oh to be young and have energy. At my age if it muffles I leave it alone. However that is not what you want to hear so I will tell you that you can use a camaro muffler with our exhaust system and tail pipes but you must do some adapting to get the tail pipes to fit [The Reatta tail pipe is a smaller diameter]. I wanted to keep the Reatta tail pipe as the tail pipes have the hanger needed to keep the exhaust system in the correct place.

It has a bit more "rumble" then stock which is what you are after.

i know what you mean, I'm not after anything over the top because even though I am a teenager still I'm not really into the cars where's people straight pipe them or whatever and their little civic can be heard from blocks away, I just want something a bit more aggrrssive than the stock, chances are I won't be messing with that for a while

If you install the typical fart can muffler on a V6, the sound will be quite different. A four cylinder is harder to muffle than a six or V8 for that matter. The relative size of each exhaust pulse is larger and more widely spaced with a four. The six cylinder has no overlapping exhaust pulses, they are a simple train of 120* pulses and are more of a buzz than anything else. The typical V8 has overlapping exhaust pulses on each bank which give it that unique sound. I guess what I am suggesting, when you get to that point is, base your choice on the sound of the same type of engine installation.

Thanks guys, this is a project way down the line for me because I still just need to get the engine running in top condition, I'm getting 13 MPG so I've got a bit of work to do, I also need a new driver side seatbelt and passenger door/fender, it's definitely a project car but also will be my daily driver as soon as I find a job. But eventually I'd really like to put a decent amount of money into it and turn it into a weekend car.

13 mpg ..... HA!  I get 11 driving around Brooklyn, and the engine runs pretty good with a nice low idle.  How are all you Reattos out there getting better to SO much better mileage than me?  Do I need to do Seafoam treament?  I've done a thread about this previously, but it bothers me that I'm the lowest mpg out here.

13 mpg ..... HA!  I get 11 driving around Brooklyn, and the engine runs pretty good with a nice low idle.  How are all you Reattos out there getting better to SO much better mileage than me?  Do I need to do Seafoam treament?  I've done a thread about this previously, but it bothers me that I'm the lowest mpg out here.

Seafoam might help but I think either your engine is running too rich or you have an injector(s) leaking when the engine is turned off. I don't remember the details of your previous thread about mileage but if you haven't done it already you should install a new O2 sensor to see if it will help with your gas mileage. Watch for black smoke when you start the car. That might indicate leaking injectors.

My town only has 10 traffic lights in the whole town, then I'm out on roads with lots of hills and curves where I rarely exceed 55mph. On some of the back roads I drive I can go 10, 20 or even 30 miles without coming to a stop sign or traffic light. I hardly ever drive on the interstate. I imagine you do a lot of stop and go driving in Brooklyn traffic that might hurt gas mileage.

I hardly ever reset the mileage readout on the CRT. After driving through several tanks of gas it settles in at an average of about 20.5 mpg and stays there.  A few weeks ago I drove to Nashville to meet up with Dave. Before leaving I reset the mileage reading on the CRT. All the driving was on the interstate except just a little driving in downtown Nashville. When I got home the CRT was showing 24.7 mpg in 296 miles of driving. I was hoping for more but that is what I got. I think a lot of people get better mileage than me in their Reatta.

Just something to point out maybe or maybe not this is happening to you.

On one of my Reatta's the mileage reset is malfunctioning. When I fill her up I pressed the reset on the panel and it will read 0.0 and I started driving. I then glanced down after a while and noticed that it still read 0.0 so then I proceeded to push the reset several times after a mile or so each time and eventually it started working but it was SLOW like 3/10 every mile.

When I got home frustrated I just turned it off and cooled off for a few minutes. Then I turned on the ignition not starting it and the display lit up and the mileage now read 245.4   :huh:  so I reset it again and turned it off and then on and same thing 245.4 :S  I still have not figured out what is going on some days it will work fine others not so well.

So without being distracted while driving you might want to check your mileage before and after your destinations to see if it is correct or pretty close.