Power Steering Filler Cap Leak

Posti

I had the steering rack replaced a few weeks ago on my 1989 Reatta to correct a fluid loss problem.  Unfortunately, I still had a fluid loss issue and took it back to the shop.  They just called and said the problem was a bad power steering filler cap.  Something I had not thought of - and I hope that was not the original problem.  In any case. make sure to check your cap if you get a power steering fluid loss.  It is the cheapest solution!

Thanks for the tip on the cap. I have never heard of that and it seems that is an unlikely situation. I just checked my power steering fluid Saturday and I remember the fluid being about an inch or more below the top of the reservoir when the fluid is at the full mark. I guess fluid could splash out when the engine was running if the cap didn't seal correctly but I have never heard of that happening before.

They can also make a mess if they are overfilled. When I had my 88 in for A/C repair and conversion they couldn't get the A/C to work. Their instructions told them to top off the power steering fluid as it could be the problem. They overfilled it. On the way home it splashed out (with the cover still on) and soaked the pad (above on the hood) and the area all around the reservois. I sucked a little fluid back out to get it to proper level. I then replaced the power steering pressure switch which was the reason my A/C would not run.

I then replaced the power steering pressure switch which was the reason my A/C would not run.

Talk about the Reatta being a complicated car!!!

What were the engineers of the Reatta thinking??? :huh:

Putting a power steering pressure switch on a car, that would make the A/C not run.

I think 89RDG snuck onto this site...

Funny guy ;)   I was trying to figure out how a defective cap could make that big of mess if filled properly? It doesn't leak out when removing the cap to check level with engine running.