Injector rebuild

AZ Ron

The 88 is closing in on 118,000 miles so I have been replacing items for preventative maintenance.

Today I started on the fuel system.  First up was a fuel injector rebuild kit and a new fuel pressure regulator.  I watched a couple of videos and started in.

The rebuild consists of removing the old O rings, removing the internal filter in each injector and spraying injector cleaner into the injector to soak for a bit, blowing dry with compressed air and then  using new parts from the kit.  The kit came from NAPA and was priced in the $30s.  The kit had no directions and contained 12 O rings and 6 filters.

I Ohmed each injector and they were all very close to 15.

Someone here said they had a hard time removing the filters when they tried this.  I screwed a sheet metal screw into the filter, tightened the screw head in a vise and used vice grips.  I hammered the vice grips lightly and the screens came out nicely.

DSCF2100.thumb.JPG.b10e6706a51cabafbbd187b48463b85c.JPG

DSCF2091.thumb.JPG.66834b81cd1ffaba04f0fa5349f7cb71.JPG

DSCF2092.thumb.JPG.1ebbad2b538238ed2073fea29394a5f1.JPG

I realized that I bought the rebuild kit from Rock Auto.  Their prices are good but are negated by the shipping costs.

The You Tube vids I watched show installing the new filters with a drill press or a vice.  I tapped mine into the injectors with a small plastic/rubber hammer.  It worked great.

My test drive went well with no leaks or other problems.  My "butt meter" said the car has more pep and runs smoother too.

Next up is to replace the fuel filter.