Turning the reatta into an American GTR?

Dfk88

I'm sure reading that headline made most people in here want to pile but it's not nearly as bad as it sounds. Now I don't know about all you guys but I'm just a car fan in general, Muscle, tuners, luxery, I just like cars I think they're cool lol, so I came to find out that the newest Nissan GTR also is a 3.8 V6, obviously it's a completely different engine but it got me thinking, what if I were to put the American equivalents that are on the GTR engine on the Reatta Engine, for example the the GTR is twin turbo so it would Ben interesting if I could get my hands on a couple GNX turbos, idk it's Moreso one of those ideas you have as a child that you just think would be cool, however with twin turbos comes a whole bunch of other necessary upgrades as well

Making power certainly isn't the issue. Way back when, the GN guys were trying the 3800 block to see if it could be a viable alternative for the older 3.8 and discovered at about the 500hp level the crank wanted to leave the bottom end. The GTR's engine is much more hi-tech than our old lumps, just being overhead cam makes the block stronger without that big hole through the center, not to mention AWD and other niceties. If we could figure out how to remove 500-1000# from the car, the common replacement using the SC 3800, would be quite the performer, relatively speaking.

I'm glad to see dreaming is still in vogue :)

Making power certainly isn't the issue. Way back when, the GN guys were trying the 3800 block to see if it could be a viable alternative for the older 3.8 and discovered at about the 500hp level the crank wanted to leave the bottom end. The GTR's engine is much more hi-tech than our old lumps, just being overhead cam makes the block stronger without that big hole through the center, not to mention AWD and other niceties. If we could figure out how to remove 500-1000# from the car, the common replacement using the SC 3800, would be quite the performer, relatively speaking.

I'm glad to see dreaming is still in vogue :)

Oh it much certainly is I have too many ideas like that

Here's an update for this little dream of mine lol

Nismo GTR 3.8

Cylinder Block Alloy: Aluminum

Valvetrain: DOHC 4 valves per cylinder

Piston stroke, mm (inch): 88.4 (3.48)

Cylinder bore, mm (inch): 95.5 (3.76)

Compression ratio: 9.0

Displacement: 3799 cc (231.8 cu in)

0.15 mm thick plasma coating of low-carbon steel liners

Two Aluminum Heads

Titanium Muffler

Now for the most part I don't know what much of this means but what I do know is that Aluminum and titanium are much lighter in weight than cast iron, so basically the idea would be to get parts that fit right but are much lighter, as far as the twin turbos goes my idea is this: pull a GNX turbo system and then the second one I'd like to put in the aftermarket GM one although I'm really not entirely sure how both would fit :/

IMG_2350.JPG.3482aa603772427c2190a536624e4afa.JPG

IMG_2373.thumb.JPG.9c17b81638b56389fc178638eb5eb4ec.JPG

IMG_2353.thumb.JPG.0ccaa38bebd7550f4474fae34ece7d56.JPG

It looks like a lot of room under a Reatta hood, doesn't it? That is until you try to add bulky items. The sideways engine is a big stumbling block, not to mention the strength of the transaxle. You can make a lot of hp. with a single turbo, maybe not as responsive as two small ones, but a good twin scroll turbine housing, fed from each side of the engine, lightweight ceramic wheels and ball bearings will be pretty good. Trying the get a large diameter exhaust downpipe out of the engine bay is problematic too.

I have often thought something like an Ecotec 4-cyl, turbocharged to about 300hp, would be a good combination. Take out a little weight, open up some real estate under the hood, more modern engine that breathes better. Making it computer friendly and interface it with the Reatta onboard features??? Keep on visualizing :)

2seater is more positive then me, but then again he is the engine guy. There have been a number of guys that tried to do what you are proposing and they failed and then left the forum. As a matter of fact I am in the process of parting out a 1989 Reatta that the guy pulled the engine, tranny and rear axle to do a "performance" swap making a rear wheel drive Reatta. He also pulled the Teves unit and replaced it with a brake unit he better understood.

It was a nice car with a lot of nice parts but after I pull what I want... it's junk.

I just spent some serious cash on my Red one to boost the horse power to about 190 and it is quicker but still not as fast as other modern cars are, but for me that's okay.

My advice is to enjoy the car for what it is; a great touring car. If you want a "go fast" car go buy one.

Oh I definitely enjoy the car how it is now, if I was to try and do something like this it would have to be when I was like 40 or something when I have enough money to put into it

2seater is more positive then me, but then again he is the engine guy. There have been a number of guys that tried to do what you are proposing and they failed and then left the forum. As a matter of fact I am in the process of parting out a 1989 Reatta that the guy pulled the engine, tranny and rear axle to do a "performance" swap making a rear wheel drive Reatta. He also pulled the Teves unit and replaced it with a brake unit he better understood.

It was a nice car with a lot of nice parts but after I pull what I want... it's junk.

I just spent some serious cash on my Red one to boost the horse power to about 190 and it is quicker but still not as fast as other modern cars are, but for me that's okay.

My advice is to enjoy the car for what it is; a great touring car. If you want a "go fast" car go buy one.

Just trying to encourage the young man. The best answer to improve a low performance engine is a bit of force feeding. That mostly keeps the normal driving as it was but has the potential for more in reserve. In general I do agree that getting the total package, brakes, suspension etc.. is a better idea long term. I do what I do just for fun and to keep me thinking about what's possible.

Does that carcass have the front engine cradle?

Oh I definitely enjoy the car how it is now, if I was to try and do something like this it would have to be when I was like 40 or something when I have enough money to put into it

When you turn 40 I'll bet the Reatta you own will just be a distant memory. Enjoy it, drive the wheels off it, but don't put too much money in it. Take some advice from an old man - be young, be foolish, be happy. :)

Ronnie I think you're right on with that with how much different the world will be in 20 years I almost wonder if it will still be legal to drive certain cars

Just trying to encourage the young man. The best answer to improve a low performance engine is a bit of force feeding. That mostly keeps the normal driving as it was but has the potential for more in reserve. In general I do agree that getting the total package, brakes, suspension etc.. is a better idea long term. I do what I do just for fun and to keep me thinking about what's possible.

Does that carcass have the front engine cradle?

2seater never thought about it but will check. Also your question makes me think about the cradle bolts as well. Give me a call and we can talk about it.

DAVE89 What would you want for the dash harness of the 89 your parting out? I need the bridge that connects the two halves .

Here is the story on this car I will be parting out. I do not have possession of the car as it is located a number of miles away and I will have about 4-5 hours to pull what I want. After I am done with the car the owner is calling a salvage yard and they will come for the car.

As anything to do with the dash was not on my agenda I suggest you contact Kevin [kdirk] as he has always grabbed the harness of every car we parted out [3] so he may have the part you are looking for. BTW I have been out to Gibson's and have looked for your part and I am not sure what it looks like. Kevin is better at this and may know. Sorry.

My intent is to grab the front hub assemblies [for the wheel speed sensors], cornering lamps, fog lights, head light motors, Teves brake unit, IPC, CRT, Headlight/Wiper pod, Chime module, CRT Controller, Radio module, Drivers inner door panel [wrong color but I will try painting it], Brake controller, antenna, maybe steering column, and other misc. items.

I am not interested in the other "silver boxes" [ECM,BCM] as I have plenty in inventory.

DAVE89 What would you want for the dash harness of the 89 your parting out? I need the bridge that connects the two halves .

I just got back from Gibson's and I am a sure as I can be that there is no bracket to hold the two haves of the harness you are referring together. The is a 7mm bolt that goes into a long "nut" that is integrated into the plug. I spent a bit of time breaking out the bolt and the nut. Below is a photo of it.

731778503_harnessnut.thumb.JPG.01c5537f4dad2e3cbf9044c29e1ff0c5.JPG