Brake pump comes on the 3rd pedal push?

ski.dive

Like Ronnie, my brake pump comes on the 3rd brake pedal push.

That means, I'm only getting 2 good brakes pushes and it comes on after the third brake push.

Should I worry about the pump burning up from coming on too many times?

Should I worry about the pump burning up from coming on too many times?

I wish I could answer your question with certainty but I can't. I know it would be better on the pump if you could get 4-6 pedal pumps before the pump starts but I think how the brakes are used can be big factor in how hard the pump has to work to stop the car.

Consider this... If you are coming to a normal stop at a red light and you only press the pedal down once and hold it, you can probably come to a complete stop without the pump starting. It's not how long you hold the brake pedal down that makes the pump start. It's how many times you press and release the pedal.

One the other hand if you are the sort of driver that likes to pump the brakes (like my wife) as you come to a stop the pump will start after a couple of pedal pumps and continue to run until you come to a complete stop. My point is that intelligent use of the brakes to avoid depleting the pressure reserve in the accumulator when driving can help reduce stress on the pump by preventing it from starting so often.

Over the coming winter I intend to check everything I can to find out why my pump starts after 2 pumps and I don't get 5-6 pumps like others have reported. I will post anything that I find that helps.