Does interior computer work with engine swap?

Dfk88

If I was to swap in a completely new engine what would be the requirements to make sure that it communicates successfully to the interior diagnostics and gauges and stuff, just curious

That it be a "C" motor. Just look on the "VIN" tag at the lower corner on the driver's side of the windshield.

That it be a "C" motor. Just look on the "VIN" tag at the lower corner on the driver's side of the windshield.

Okay so as long as it's a C motor it will be compatible with the interior technology? Sound simple enough

Dave is right for 100% compatibility. You could probably get a Vin L up to '95 to work as long as it was complete but some don't use EGR and some other subtle differences. GM used engines in the 3.8/3800 family in the same years depending on the car model. For example, the Reatta received the vin L in 1991, but the Regal used the L in 1990. Oldsmobile used the vin 3 in 1988 I believe and the vin C in 1991. I'm sure the Hollander interchange at the parts yard can find what will work.

Yeah I have no plans of doing a swap anytime soon I was just curious, I would like to customize the engine Bay though

Dfk, you must be an optimist.  I understand wanting to customize the engine bay, especially like some of those amazing examples on Bitchin' Rides on the Velocity channel.  The owner on that program, Dave Kindig, calls the engine bay the car's "jewelry box," but there just isn't that much room in our Reattas.  Maybe the Reatta isn't as bad as the brand new cars in terms of efficient use of space, but its certainly not my '65 Skylark either....you can have party complete with a buffet table and a bar in that engine bay.  The Reatta, with its transverse mounted V6 is really tight.  I had to contort my hands just to swap out the cruise control servo, and that part is pretty much out there in the open.  On the other hand, dream big!