Shaky Idle?

Dfk88

So while on my way to the DMV today the car would sound and feel fine while driving but a few times when we'd stopped at a light idling it sounded and felt like it was misfiring or something's related my best guess I said spark plugs which i can hopefully get changed soon. The throttle is really responsive so I don't think anything is wrong with the fuel injectors but I'd a also like to reiterate that im only 18 and know nothing about cars so who knows haha anyways thanks as always guys youre always super helpful!

Hey DFK88 and all Reatto's:  There is so much to be considered...have you done a full tune-up?  My 134k '91 engine runs great, but I get 11 MPG.  I did a post here a little bit ago (MPG's posting) and got all sorts of suggestions on increasing the fuel mileage, including installing a new ICM (ignition control module, its at the top front passenger side of the engine).  Part of the fun for me is planning and doing whatever is possible for a civilian, the hard stuff goes to my trusted mechanic.  I'm gonna say something stupid, so get ready..........Take care of your Reatta and it will take care of you. :rolleyes:

..........Take care of your Reatta and it will take care of you. :rolleyes:

I've been taken care of so much that I'm just about broke.... :)

Not to discount anyone else, but Dave has used Reatta's as a daily driver for hundreds of thousands of miles so has a pretty good handle on what it takes for comfort, safety, reliability and efficiency.

Good idea to make a list as OP indicated, keep track of what was done, and in what order, just in case you need to backtrack :) Once you have a good baseline it makes it easier to see changes if they occur. I know I have fiddled with my '90 for almost 1/4 century now and having a record of how it was operating at any point in time will pay dividends. The system is surprisingly flexible and will almost always get you home if something fails.

So while on my way to the DMV today the car would sound and feel fine while driving but a few times when we'd stopped at a light idling it sounded and felt like it was misfiring...

Your problem could be several things. I had the same problem and it was caused by the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. You should continue with your plans for a tune up before changing the MAF. It is an expensive part if bought new but a used one isn't too bad. We can help diagnose the MAF if the tune up doesn't resolve the problem.

I like your checklist in your signature line. I would like to add one very important thing to it - flushing the brake system with new brake fluid. It is easy to do if you follow the instructions here on ROJ and it costs very little money. In the long run it can save you problems with your Teves brake system. How To Flush & Bleed Brakes

I would clean the Idle Air Control. There is a tutorial on this website.

I'll definitely have to look into that thanks Dave

Hey DFK88 and all Reatto's:  There is so much to be considered...have you done a full tune-up?  My 134k '91 engine runs great, but I get 11 MPG.  I did a post here a little bit ago (MPG's posting) and got all sorts of suggestions on increasing the fuel mileage, including installing a new ICM (ignition control module, its at the top front passenger side of the engine).  Part of the fun for me is planning and doing whatever is possible for a civilian, the hard stuff goes to my trusted mechanic.  I'm gonna say something stupid, so get ready..........Take care of your Reatta and it will take care of you. :rolleyes:

I'm in the process of giving it a tuneup, I think I saw that post I haven't looked too much at it though I'll have to take a look, and hopefully so ?

Your problem could be several things. I had the same problem and it was caused by the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. You should continue with your plans for a tune up before changing the MAF. It is an expensive part if bought new but a used one isn't too bad. We can help diagnose the MAF if the tune up doesn't resolve the problem.

I like your checklist in your signature line. I would like to add one very important thing to it - flushing the brake system with new brake fluid. It is easy to do if you follow the instructions here on ROJ and it costs very little money. In the long run it can save you problems with your Teves brake system. How To Flush & Bleed Brakes

That sounds like a good plan to me, and thanks I'll definitely get that added, by the way I can't believe I actually haven't mentioned this yet but my anti lock light is on so I guess my abs Is out for some reason

Hey DFK88, if you don't mind me asking....how did you come to join our Reatta family?  I'm a Buick guy and have been since we all went to the dealership with my grandfather to pick up his brand new midnight blue 1974 LeSabre coupe when I was 9 years old.  In addition to my sweet polo green 1991 Reatta coupe, I have a 1965 Skylark convertible and a 2017 Envision SUV.  How is it that an 18 year old has a Buick Reatta?

I've been taken care of so much that I'm just about broke.... :)

x 3. The only Reatta I have that hasn't cost me more since I bought it is the Pewter one that sits on my desk...

Hey DFK88, if you don't mind me asking....how did you come to join our Reatta family?  I'm a Buick guy and have been since we all went to the dealership with my grandfather to pick up his brand new midnight blue 1974 LeSabre coupe  when I was 9 years old.  In addition to my sweet polo green 1991 Reatta coupe, I have a 1965 Skylark convertible and a 2017 Envision SUV.  How is it that an 18 year old has a Buick Reatta?

Well I actually just saw it on a website and I thought it was pretty cool and then when I saw the interior it was like nothing I'd ever seen before it reminded me of the interior of a nice boat and with the price being 500 bucks I just pulled the trigger. However I have major ties to gm because my dad was a mechanic for Fitzpatrick Chevrolet for a good 19 years, beyond that he had two Buicks in my lifetime so they've always kinda been around I  guess.

I had a sketchy idle...similar to symptoms of a leaky vac line. I determined it was EGR. I dismantled it, cleaned it all up, re-installed and still had the rough idle. While not everyone's cup of tea, I fabricated a 'delete' plate and installed it under the valve. The idle smoothed right out. I get 29mpg hiway. I always have an 026 code on the OBD but it is always history, never current. Sounds weird but that's how it is.

Have you run the OBD? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

blockingplate.JPG

DSCF4048.thumb.JPG.a4997515c05926ec7cce09aa10d718fb.JPG

I had a sketchy idle...similar to symptoms of a leaky vac line. I determined it was EGR. I dismantled it, cleaned it all up, re-installed and still had the rough idle. While not everyone's cup of tea, I fabricated a 'delete' plate and installed it under the valve. The idle smoothed right out. I get 29mpg hiway. I always have an 026 code on the OBD but it is always history, never current. Sounds weird but that's how it is.

Have you run the OBD? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

I've done diagnostics on the screen itself and nothing current has ever come up

I. I always have an 026 code on the OBD but it is always history, never current. Sounds weird but that's how it is. ...

I blocked off the EGR on my 1999 Blazer. To keep the ECM from setting a code I drilled a 5/32 hole in the block off plate in each position of the EGR valves. My Blazer just had two where the Reatta has three. That might work for you to get rid of the code E026.

I blocked off the EGR on my 1999 Blazer. To keep the ECM from setting a code I drilled a 5/32 hole in the block off plate in each position of the EGR valves. My Blazer just had two where the Reatta has three. That might work for you to get rid of the code E026.

Well it doesn't do it all the time is the thing so I'm not really sure what it is, I don't think I've ever heard/felt it while I was driving, only when other people have drivin it

Hi Dfk88, Ronnie and the rest.  This thread in the forum has got me thinking ........just what is the correct idle?  I have posted before about my 11 MPG's around town, and searched that thread and others.  My 91's 135k miles engine, when good and warm, idles in park at about 600 on the tach (six little blue bars). Is this correct?  By the way, can you get back the Idle Air Controller tutorial....it seems to be gone.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:44 PM, Ronnie said:

I'll remember that. Funny thing is that I don't always have the E026 code either. It is a sometimes thing. The only reason I even checked it now was I wanted to know if it was there before I posted about the block off plate. Having the on again, off again code doesn't bother me. If it ever stays current I'll look into other causes. That quad code, I think it is, can have multiple sources, as I recall.

Have you ever looked at the EGR valve operate w/ the engine running? Under the pintels, w/out the block off plate, it looked like water was escaping where it contacted the plate. I posted some pics on the other thread. If you look into the throat of the base plate, you can see water. That is what mine looked like immediately upon removal of the valve.

DSCF4112.JPG

Hi Dfk88, Ronnie and the rest.  This thread in the forum has got me thinking ........just what is the correct idle?  I have posted before about my 11 MPG's around town, and searched that thread and others.  My 91's 135k miles engine, when good and warm, idles in park at about 600 on the tach (six little blue bars).  Is this correct?  By the way, can you get back the Idle Air Controller tutorial....it seems to be gone.

The broken link to the IAC Cleaning Instructions is now fixed. Thank you for  pointing it out. If you see more broken links please let me know.

My Reatta idles about 650 rpm when it is fully warmed up. It fluctuates a little from time to time but 650 is what I would consider normal.