Reatta Eclipsed

Ronnie

Here are a some photos you might enjoy.

The photos were taken over about an hours time as the eclipse took place. It was odd to see all the street lights come on and car headlights burning in the middle of the day.

Click the photos to enlarge them. Look closely in one of the photos of the sun and you can see the stars around it. For about 2 minutes it was almost as dark as night. Then, almost like the flip of a switch it got really bright again producing some amazing haloes around the sun for a few seconds.

1516729934_EclipseAug2017(5).thumb.JPG.f84c3cb1e387e51507c22aea43a91a8a.JPG

1850203875_EclipseAug2017(7).thumb.JPG.48915f13d1ec746cf41d259aadc0326e.JPG

731124861_EclipseAug2017(8).thumb.JPG.3536e98f7ca3ebe0047b526b2652f069.JPG

1165606193_EclipseAug2017(10).thumb.JPG.e415fc9bbd4334d6ef9179ad3e334783.JPG

Did you notice how different the shadows were just before and after totality? It almost seemed like the light was from an overhead streetlight rather than the sun with crisper shadows and an almost LED type coloring.

Did you notice how different the shadows were just before and after totality? It almost seemed like the light was from an overhead streetlight rather than the sun with crisper shadows and an almost LED type coloring.

Yeah, it was weird. It was almost like the light you would get if the earth was in a large warehouse or something. I don't know if anyone noticed in my last photo of my Reatta in the dark, but the sky and clouds on the distant horizon were still lit up brightly even though it was almost as dark as night at our house.  I guess the shadow cast by the moon is smaller than what I thought it would be. We were watching a Knoxville TV station, which is about 40 miles away, during the eclipse. We could the total eclipse several seconds before they said they did.

I'm just amazed at how many people flocked to this area of East Tennessee to see the eclipse. The small town of Sweetwater TN, that was dead center in the path of the eclipse, had thousands of people there from all over the country just to see the eclipse. Eclipse gawkers had all the interstates packed. :D

• Ronnie featured this topic