Whole Grain or Original Flavor?

jglawnyc

I kindly invite my Reatta brethren to offer their take on the following:  Wood dash fascia or original grey/black? I have collected the console and flip-up cubby fascia from the Riviera of similar vintage to our Reattas.  I just need the dash fascia section to make a complete set, minus the doors of course.  What do you all prefer?  I'm not sure if it was Ronnie who had a picture of his interior on a reply or tutorial that showed the woodgrain dash.  I have a '91 Polo Green with Tan interior and think the woodgrain wood go particularly well.  Its a simple swap out so......what do you think?

Here is a photo of the dash of my '88 model. It may not be a good indication of how your dash would look since the dash is made differently. It will show how the woodgrain matches with the tan interior. I have the woodgrain parts to go around the cassette player too but I felt that was too much.  It all depends on what you like. If you like it - that's all that counts. ?

SAM_3834.thumb.JPG.58931224e19012904af21887aa559f50.JPG

Thanks Ronnie. Your interior really looks great with the woodgrain, the tan is perfect for it. I think I prefer the shape of my '91 dash to yours, however your 3 spoke steering wheel is far more beautiful. Of course, I have an airbag on my much uglier wheel. I appreciate your posting the picture, I think I'm leaning towards following your lead with the swap. Anyone else want to opine?

I have a 1990 Black/Tan convertible and did the swap to wood grain. It looks great. I also did a steering wheel swap with an early 80's Riviera. I think Ronnie has a picture somewhere and maybe could post it.

It was a post from 10 months two days ago. The post was started by Jibsam. Shows both the one in the 'vert and the Red. You posted the pics for me. Shows the tan dash as well.

Wow Dave, that dash and steering wheel look great.  I'm assuming that Riviera wheel is probably pretty rare.  The colors work perfectly.  Since mine has an airbag, I'd be concerned about any computer/electronic repercussions that might result if I took out the airbag by doing a wheel swap.  An airbag is a great safety item, so why mess with it.  Yes, the leather is flaking a bit on the top side of the wheel, so I'm currently doing a little research on restoring it,  including an aerosol leather spray repaint.

IMG_1673.JPG

It was a post from 10 months two days ago. The post was started by Jibsam. Shows both the one in the 'vert and the Red. You posted the pics for me. Shows the tan dash as well.

I couldn't find another dash photo of your's for a '90 model. The only other photo of a woodgrain dash I have of your's  is below. I see you used the full woodgrain kit. It all looks good with that woodgrain wheel.

I like the location of your GPS.

580652bc15c51_woodsteeringwheel-new.thumb.jpg.59df2f4e9b619dd095e20f4126f6a4e2.jpg

There is a tutorial on this site that explains how to fix it so there is no warning light. Also I'm not so sure how well an air bag will work after almost 30 years.

There is an unsold ebay listing of a steering wheel like this one. I believe it is from last fall.

If Ronnie finds and posts the one from the Red that one is really sharp. But then again it should be as I spent over $700.00 to make it that way.

It was from November of 2016 and listed for $299.00 by "goldengm".

Thanks Dave, I'm gonna check out ebay for that listing.  When my mechanic recently did the new ignition tumbler after the pass-key failed, I had the same question for him regarding the air bag.  He was adamant that these things "will work forever" as long as they haven't been deployed.  I'm just gonna go with that, especially after having just re-done my horn buttons......everything looked really clean in there and I took the opportunity at the time to clean up the air-bag connection clip with a tiny file and brush.  Off to ebay...

• Ronnie featured this topic