s-10 BRAKE CONVERSION by retired mechanic74,might be the solution for TEVES

ski.dive

With so many TEVES brake systems failing and Teves replacement parts being so expensive and hard to find.

The s-10 BRAKE CONVERSION by retired mechanic74, might be the future solution for our TEVES systems.

I agree to a point but I see that as a last resort. The ABS & master cylinder portion of the TEVES is very durable. I've never heard of that part of those parts failing although I'm sure they do. What is problematic on the TEVES is the power assist (booster) portion that bolts on the side of the master cylinder that consists of the pump/motor, pressure switch, and accumulator. The good thing is that the power assist is a unit that just bolts on the side of the master cylinder with one bolt and can be easily swapped out.

The reason Reatta owners are quick to condemn the system is due to a lack of knowledge the parts and understanding how the power assist works. The best defense against brake failures on your Reatta is to get to know the system when you don't have problems and learn recognize a problem and what needs to be done when you do have problems. With the help of other Reatta owners I have tried to provide information on how to troubleshoot and repair the TEVES system with easy to follow how-to guides and tutorials. They are for the most part a condensed version of what can be found in the factory service manual (FSM). This website is updated with new information as needed.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

My problem is the car came with a shot brake system (dead accunulator and pump of unknown condition).

Are you saying one could swap out the master cylinder and use the existing booster? I just spent an hour or so in a junk yard pulling the booster assembly and cylinder out of an 86 s10 blazer...

I plan to do the S-10 swap because replacing CRTs and digital clusters is so costly that combined with having to replace TEVES parts too takes this from a daily driver project and puts it into the part it out category for my budget.  Makes me sad. 😞

Welcome to the forum MeanMug. I hope the S-10 swap works out for you. Take a few photos along the way when you do the swap. Maybe it will help someone else do the same.

• Like 1

I'm afraid to ask... but is Retired Mechanic still around...

Still think the system from an 86-90 Riviera would be easier since designed for the same firewall.

I agree with Padgett.  Why "customize" something when the Riv and Reatta is pretty much the same car and the Teves was an option on the Riv...

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

You know I just looked and you can get a remanufactured Riviera booster and Master cyl off Rock auto.  Without the ABS though.  

Personally I like the TEVES system and plan to try to keep mine with that as long as possible.  

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Philbo said:

You know I just looked and you can get a remanufactured Riviera booster and Master cyl off Rock auto.  Without the ABS though.

Yes it could be done but it wouldn't be as simple as just swapping out over the counter parts. I think it would require some changes to the plumbing because the Riv master cylinder has two brake lines going into it. Our Reatta master cylinder has three I believe. One going to the rear brakes and two going to the front. I think the Riv probably used diagonal braking and I don't think the Reatta did. That might also be a problem.