From Cradle to Save

jglawnyc

Hey all:  After getting fed up with the "thud" from under my '91 when turning and accelerating, I took the car to my mechanic yesterday.  After a quick drive around he showed me the following simple and quick test:  With car parked and motor on (and hood up) he turned the steering wheel back and forth several times....pointing out that the engine was shimmying from side to side.  He then put the car on the lift to show me that the front engine cradle bushings where completely shot. He asked me to get him a urethane bushing set to replace.  I've reached out to Jim Finn, but perhaps Ronnie will know if such a urethane kit is available.  The cradle tutorial by Dashmaster is confusing, and calls for 6 each of the bushings and separate bolts and then links to a rubber bushing available on Amazon.  Ronnie, I thought there where 4 bushing points on the front cradle, therefore requiring 4 replacements with 4 of the bolts?  Is that correct, was the tutorial wrong?  Also, if you know, is there a urethane bushing available instead of the rubber?  Thanks as always.

As far as I know there are six total sub-frame mounts. One at each front corner and two on each rear corner, which take the bulk of the load.

The tutorial is correct. There are six mounts as 2seater described. The original cradle bushings are no longer available. The cradle bushings listed below (in the Reatta Store) are the ones that are known to be suitable replacements. Some people say that the bolts included with the bushings are incorrect for the Reatta. Others have said they used the included bolts without problems. I can't say one way or the other for sure. I've not installed the cradle mounts myself. I don't know of any urethane bushings that will fit.

Dorman 924-005 Subframe Cradle Mounts

If you will point out what is confusing about the tutorial we can discuss it and try to make it better.

If you  don't fix bad cradle bushings here is what could eventually happen.

cradle_rust.thumb.jpg.c5a8ee40297d79569691fa006e51ba6c.jpg

OK, so just to be clear, there are SIX bushing sets required for the front cradle (and six of the other type bolts just in case)?  Or 6 times $24.08 plus the bolts?  Sorry guys, I didn't catch the NOTE on the Reatta Store cradle mount listing which says 6 are needed.

You will need 6 times $24.08 for the cradle bushing kits. You may possibly need to buy additional bolts. I'm not sure. I would wait and see if the included bolts work and if not get the correct bolts later. Basically what I know about it is written in the tutorial here on ROJ.

Dashmaster said the bolts provided in the Dorman set did not work [as this is his tutorial and he did the work I believe we should accept what he says]. The bolts needed [per his tutorial] are #11517635 and are available on Ebay for $2.82 each.

I would have them on hand so that the job procedes in a timely manner [unless you have another car to drive].

Dave is probably right about the bolts. I usually don't think in terms of a Reatta being a daily driver but others may need their car quicker then I do.

I replaced mine a couple years ago. If I remember correctly the bolts that come with the Dorman bushings are a smaller diameter and I absolutely had to change the bolts and used the GM bolts. As a side note I used those same GM bolts on the rear end when I replaced the bushings in the rear.