AC Repair - Holding Pressure

bli22

AC is only cooling when I'm on the highway.  Freon was put in professionally (vacuumed and then put in).  It's holding pressure fine. Does not cool when sitting at a stop sign.

ECC? Relay? Something else?  

90 coupe.  I have three of them.  I can swap parts to verify if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

You should verify that at least one of the cooling fans on the radiator is running when you turn on the AC. That would be my first step.

You should verify that at least one of the cooling fans on the radiator is running when you turn on the AC. That would be my first step.

Both appear to be spinning just fine. Not sure how fast.

If you have access to a large box fan, put it in front of the car to blow into the radiator and AC condenser. Leave the hood open to get maximum air flow. See if that makes a difference in the way the AC cools.  Also look at the compressor to see if it is cycling on and off a lot.

The next step will be to go into on-board diagnostics and watch BD28 to see what it is showing. This will help you do that.

How To Access ECM, BCM & CRT Codes

Reatta Onboard Diagnostics Booklet

Look at page 8 for information about BD28.

If you have access to a large box fan, put it in front of the car to blow into the radiator and AC condenser. Leave the hood open to get maximum air flow. See if that makes a difference in the way the AC cools.  Also look at the compressor to see if it is cycling on and off a lot.

The next step will be to go into on-board diagnostics and watch BD28 to see what it is showing. This will help you do that.

How To Access ECM, BCM & CRT Codes

Reatta Onboard Diagnostics Booklet

Look at page 8 for information about BD28.

....It sounds like you have a restricted accumulator. I'm not sure If GM also incorporates an expansion valve on the Reatta but that also can cause the problem. The accumulator is located next to the radiator on the driver side and the expansion valve (If It has one) is located on the evap.