Electric Reatta

Aztec62

2seater that is an interesting article. I like the idea of getting an extra 150 ft-lb of torque. Although the extra fuel mileage it talks about may be real, the cost of getting that extra mileage is probably very expensive. It reminds me of the commercials on TV that say you can lease a car for $200 per month for 36 months. It seems like an awesome deal until you read the fine print at the bottom of the screen that says $3675 is due at signing. :)

I thought it was interesting, and not unlike the starter generator on my golf cart. I'm sure the cost will be high, at least initially, but it looks like it is also designed to function as electric only for a limited range. I noticed they claim a target price under $5k, still pretty steep, but not a ton different than an aftermarket s/c setup. I know our cars have that option for substantially less, but maybe something to consider as more crowded areas prohibit or tax hydrocarbon fueled vehicles. Perhaps not practical for a somewhat limited use vehicle like our (except Dave) :)

Looking under the hood I see two possible locations, a reverse mount that would sit about where the battery is and a location much like my turbocharger, where the air box is, with a jackshaft across the top/front of the engine to the drive belt area. Good thing dreaming is still free.

Let's see if I have any luck copying this thread form the Corvette Forum.  Lots of pictures and lots of discussions.  This guy lives in California and converted his V8 Corvette to an electric motor.  Interesting read but really time consuming as the thread has been going on for 6 years.  He has made many modifications and upgrades along the way and has some great ideas.  https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2857006-mo-s-electric-corvette-lot-of-pictures.html

You are making assumptions that are incorrect. If you read past posts on this forum you will see that we discuss all things Reatta and more.  We often drift off topic here.  I would love to have a supercharged 3800 in my car or even a good Northstar V8 in my Reatta but I'm too old and lazy to take on the job. If you want to start a topic about converting your Reatta to electric power that would be fine with me.

You asked for comments and you got them. Don't feel that your ideas aren't welcome here just because everyone didn't jump on the wagon with you. I thought the comments, "Buy a Prius!!" and "No thanks. I do not want to look like a nerd.", were off base but I don't think that is something to get offended over as long as the language is civil. Be assured that I will step in and delete posts (and members if needed) if the discussion gets out of hand.

I find the idea of an electric motor interesting but not practical. I expressed my reasons in a previous post. You can take your discussion about making an electric powered Reatta to an electric conversion forum if you like but I think they might tell you that it's not practical to start with a heavy car that is already an electricians nightmare to work on and then start adding controls for an electric motor that only complicates the electrical system more...

....Reading this I felt I have to chime it. I have made many modifications to my Reatta. If I was at a carshow I would be nowhere near wining the Trophy for originality but I don't care I bought this car for it's uniqueness. The reason for all the modifications is because I don't like the high price of replacement parts and the sparse outlets for getting parts, so with a little ingenuity, and this forum, I am able to keep this car reliable.

....Reading this I felt I have to chime it. I have made many modifications to my Reatta. If I was at a carshow I would be nowhere near wining the Trophy for originality but I don't care I bought this car for it's uniqueness. The reason for all the modifications is because I don't like the high price of replacement parts and the sparse outlets for getting parts, so with a little ingenuity, and this forum, I am able to keep this car reliable.

I think the majority of Reatta owners are like you and do whatever works best to keep their cars on the road. Many have  used parts that were not stock from the factory. The first thing a lot of Reatta owners of is change the wheels. It's not too unusual to use different brake parts. Some have used larger calipers and rotors from Camaros, Cadillacs and big Buicks. Camaro mufflers with true dual exhaust are common. I kept the stock muffler but I cut off the downturn on the tail pipes and installed chrome tips that come straight out and make the pipes look larger. A lot of us have put spoilers on the rear of our cars.

There are probably people on this forum who are purist and want to keep their cars stock for whatever reason. I think that is great if that is what you like. I would do the same if I had a low mileage car suitable for being judged as car shows. My point is that everyone is welcome here no matter what vision you have for your Reatta.

SAM_3167.thumb.JPG.2698bba5d767626f3f74e89085cd7da8.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

going back to the electric Reatta, I have been digging a bit on the Internet.

Pretty surprising how many people are having almost the same idea like I have

and how much hardware is already available.

Have a look:

http://www.evalbum.com/

People are converting all kind of cars, from midget cars to pick up trucks.

Some are working with a small budget, but many are dumping a lot of money into their project.

I do not think the size of a car is a factor any more. Almost anything can be converted.

Much more important is not to add more weight when converting to e-drive.

In case it happens, the car must have good brakes and the structure must be up to it.

I think Ronnie is correct when he says the Reatta is not the ideal car for a conversion (well, Fieros have been converted...)

There is little room for the batteries and I would consider the brakes as too weak.

The tranny won´t help either.

Anyway, a conversion is way above what I can do and how much money I have available.

My Reatta will stay combustible.

But still a cool idea in my mind.

Have fun

Henning