Need Help with finding Dead Mouse

Furman83

Hello!!

I need some help! I am certain I have a Dead mouse in my 1988 Reatta. I noticed a funny smell the other day and today when I took it out I turned on the AC and OMG!! Where do I begin to look for it? Under the glovebox? is there a way to open the vents up without tearing out the dash? Any direction would be helpful, I just noticed that it appears the mouse at some point in time came out the vent hole under the Passengers seat.

Thanks,

Rocky!!

Hey Rocky, Welcome back. Just a guess... a good place for him to hide would be in the center console. There is a lot of empty space in there.

Will look, but I think it is in the Vents somewhere, When I turned on the AC (Live in Florida now) it was super strong coming through the vents. can you even get to the vent system from under the passenger side of Dash board?

Thanks, Been way for a long time.

I imagine there is an air intake under there somewhere the he could have slipped into

Good luck!!

If you cant find it.

I've had mice die behind the wall in my Cabin in Vermont and I could not find it.

Had to smell and wait 3-4 weeks for the mouse to totally decompose

The one time I had a mouse problem they built a nest in the blower motor housing. If it/they could get into the cabin, all of the ductwork would be accessible from the floor vents. I am not sure they can get all the way if from the outside, but maybe through the evaporator drain or the outside air door :(

Remove the kick panel under the dash on the passenger side. I have been in cars in junk yards and that is where I always find them.

All,

Thank you very much for the ideas. I have to keep the car in garage do to insurance reasons and I left windows open often. I had a mouse problem in my attic (no more due to Pest guy), but perhaps somehow a mouse got in thru window as my workbench is at window height and next to the car. I noticed 2 little droppings under the passenger seat just now. I hope i do not need to take out the seat and carpet to get to that vent hole.  What a stinking pain in the you know what.(Pun intended lol).

Hey Rocky, Welcome back. Just a guess... a good place for him to hide would be in the center console. There is a lot of empty space in there.

The one time I had a mouse problem they built a nest in the blower motor housing. If it/they could get into the cabin, all of the ductwork would be accessible from the floor vents. I am not sure they can get all the way if from the outside, but maybe through the evaporator drain or the outside air door :(

Remove the kick panel under the dash on the passenger side. I have been in cars in junk yards and that is where I always find them.

My '88 had them in all of those places and in the trunk. The urine had permeated the foam on the panels under the dash and the rubber jack storage in the trunk. I was able to get the smell out of the foam by wetting it down with a pet urine product and drying it out. Did it three times before the smell was gone. I never could get the smell out of the rubber jack storage thing in the trunk so I yanked it out because I don't have a jack anyway.

Well, I have removed the Side panels on the center consul and the kick plate on the passenger side. no dead mouse and no real smell there. I am thinking of removing the blower to see if it in there, but that will be a PIA. I started the car again with AC on and the smell is really bad coming out of the vents in the dash!! When I find that "Gopher" I will send a pic. PS, I am wearing the big floppy hat like Dan Aykroyd wore in Caddy Shack. I gone to find that varmit!!

Check the spare tire.  I purchased an 87 Corvette in Houston several years ago.  The fuel injector wires had been eaten by a mouse.  The damage was repaired and I bought it and drove it home to Michigan.  Later that same year I dropped the spare tire to check its air pressure and found a dead mouse and its nest resting in the wheel of the spare.  I had the dash apart the next year and was happy to find no evidence of Mr Mouse in there.

I realize that is a long way from the dash but you might find the nest in the trunk area.  I bet you need to take the dash out before you find the carcass though.

Used car dealers have some pretty good deodorizers to rid cars of odors so try those too.

Stand corrected, why do I get those two mixed up. Old age I guess. Well still no luck finding the critter. Put car outside with windows open. May never find it.

Thanks for all the help.

Well, I have removed the Side panels on the center consul and the kick plate on the passenger side. no dead mouse and no real smell there. I am thinking of removing the blower to see if it in there, but that will be a PIA. I started the car again with AC on and the smell is really bad coming out of the vents in the dash!! When I find that "Gopher" I will send a pic. PS, I am wearing the big floppy hat like Dan Aykroyd wore in Caddy Shack. I gone to find that varmit!!

Hi, Dave was referring to the panel that is under the glove box right above where your legs would be when sitting in the car. If I read correctly you looked behind the kick panel to the right side just in front of the door. I just want to be sure you were checking at the right place.

Hello!!

I need some help! I am certain I have a Dead mouse in my 1988 Reatta. I noticed a funny smell the other day and today when I took it out I turned on the AC and OMG!! Where do I begin to look for it? Under the glovebox? is there a way to open the vents up without tearing out the dash? Any direction would be helpful, I just noticed that it appears the mouse at some point in time came out the vent hole under the Passengers seat.

Thanks,

Rocky!!     Rocky It sounds like the dead mouse is in your A/C plenum remove the blower motor and check through there. Use a mirror that is small enough to see all the way to the back. Suggestion while in there get a good look at your evaporator  to see if it has any leaks, if the mouse is there use a shop vac to remove. If no mouse go inside of the car and using the shop vac take the hose and put it in the floor vents  (close off all other vents) and try to suck it out, you might want to try this before you pull the blower motor. Hope this helps...Good Luck