Finally got a pressure switch

droid5977

Hi all. Hope everyone is having fun in their Reattas this summer. So, awhile back I knew I needed a new accumulator for my 90' vert. After waiting for what seemed like forever, I was able to finally get one through spinningwheels.sc. Well everything went well installing the new one and life was good...for a day. The next morning I come out, turn the key and I don't hear the ABS motor kick on. I lift the hood and find the reservoir full to the top and starting to leak out the cap. I grab a screwdriver and tap the pressure switch with the handle and low and behold the motor kicks on. The brake fluid recedes to its normal level and everything is good again. So that pretty much told me I needed a new pressure switch. Well, after about 4 months of tapping the pressure switch daily to drive the car, an 89' came in to a local Pick-n-Pull and I was able to get the whole ABS unit for a very reasonable price. So today I installed the pressure switch from that unit and life is good once more.

Oh yeah, while pulling parts off that 89' I grabbed the CRT unit. I don't need it since mine is a 90' but I'll sell it for a reasonable price. However, I'm not sure if it even works. I need to find someone with an 88' / 89' Reatta/Riviera that I can test it out on. Thanks for letting me bore you with story. Enjoy your Reattas! :D

I am glad to hear the switch problem has been solved. I just noticed you mention overflowing brake fluid from the reservoir? That should never happen unless the brake fluid is topped off with the accumulator charged. There should be a label on the reservoir to depressurize the accumulator by pumping the brake with the key off until you get a hard pedal. That is when the reservoir level should be checked. It is normal and correct operation to have the fluid level 1/2"-5/8" below the full level in normal use.