A few probably obvious questions

JSD68

I'm working on my 1990, and a few things you guys might help me with. 

Number one is the horn switch button Part number, I think is #16750743. The one I found online was actually for a Roadmaster, but it looked the same in the diagram. Is that correct? They wanted 28 bucks for it. My interior is blue, so I assume that is the "Sapphire" designation.

Number two is the cassette deck. It, of course, does not work. I did notice that the whole A/C, AM/FM, cassette player are all in one integrated unit. That would tell me that changing just the head unit is out of the question. So is there any workarounds? and if not, who would you recommend I contact for repair?

Number Three is vent shades. Do they even exist for Reattas?

Number four is VIN decoding. Are there any sites that will break it down as far as paint codes and such? I've poked around online, but I keep getting these click bait buy now sites.

Thank you all for the help. I'm glad I found this forum.

Here is mine:

Reatta1web.jpg

Reatta-interiorweb.thumb.jpg.5e67a8ca0c2bf7867de12957c263843a.jpg

Reatta2web.thumb.jpg.260bb3363b301e2d4ce84b4b02a9d7ed.jpg

Welcome to the Forum -

The climate control - (AC/Heater) and the radio are actually separate. Once you 'CAREFULLY' remove the trim you will see how they are separate.

You can easily replace the radio with a single DIN CD player. You will have to buy the wiring adapters and a face plate adapter to fit the trim cover.

Or you can send in your old tape player unit to get it fixed if you would like, there is someone here on the forum that would be able to help you with that.

Scott

Welcome to the forum.  I see you are from Tennessee. So am I. What part of TN are you located in? I live about 40 miles west of Knoxville.

I can't answer your question on the horn button. You might find this link useful for decoding the VIN and paint codes. Specs & Identification

Paint codes and option content (by GM code numbers) are listed on a sticker in the spare tire well of the trunk. Have to remove the tire and probably the padding to see it. That will list everything your car was built with, as well as the VIN number and paint code numbers.

As already mentioned, the radio is easily changed with some minor additional parts. You might still be able to get the cassette deck repaired, but for what it would cost I can't see the point. The stock radio, even when working properly, isn't that good by contemporary standards for either sound or features. Of course, some guys like to stay bone stock. I can respect that, but if that isn't an issue to you, upgrade it.

Regarding horn buttons, the Roadmaster and a couple of other early to mid 90's Buick models did use the same buttons, but colors are often different across models, even if only slightly. Not sure if the sapphire used in the Roadmaster is the same as that of the Reatta. These can be repainted with an automotive trim colorant if required to match.

As to vent shades, can't say I've ever seen a set for the Reatta. Maybe they were offered at one point but probably long since discontinued. Not sure how they would attach with no upper door frame anyway. There used to be an auto bra to fit it too, these haven't been offered in years either. Most such once popular aftermarket stuff is long gone now from lack of demand, but might turn up some NOS or used stuff on ebay.

Nice car BTW, looks very clean and well maintained. Did you just pick it up, or have you had it a while?

KD

Welcome to the forum.  I see you are from Tennessee. So am I. What part of TN are you located in? I live about 40 miles west of Knoxville.

I can't answer your question on the horn button. You might find this link useful for decoding the VIN and paint codes. Specs & Identification

I'm over in Sevierville, next to Pigeon Forge. Thanks for the link Ronnie!

Welcome to the Forum -

The climate control - (AC/Heater) and the radio are actually separate. Once you 'CAREFULLY' remove the trim you will see how they are separate.

You can easily replace the radio with a single DIN CD player. You will have to buy the wiring adapters and a face plate adapter to fit the trim cover.

Or you can send in your old tape player unit to get it fixed if you would like, there is someone here on the forum that would be able to help you with that.

Scott

Thanks Scott!

Paint codes and option content (by GM code numbers) are listed on a sticker in the spare tire well of the trunk. Have to remove the tire and probably the padding to see it. That will list everything your car was built with, as well as the VIN number and paint code numbers.

As already mentioned, the radio is easily changed with some minor additional parts. You might still be able to get the cassette deck repaired, but for what it would cost I can't see the point. The stock radio,  even when working properly, isn't that good by contemporary standards for either sound  or features. Of course, some guys like to stay bone stock. I can respect that, but if that isn't an issue to you, upgrade it.

Regarding horn buttons,  the Roadmaster and a couple of other early to mid 90's Buick models did use the same buttons, but colors are often different across models, even if only slightly. Not sure if the sapphire used in the Roadmaster is the same as that of the Reatta. These can be repainted with an automotive trim colorant if required to match.

As to vent shades, can't say I've ever seen a set for the Reatta. Maybe they were offered at one point but probably long since discontinued. Not sure how they would attach with no upper door frame anyway. There used to be an auto bra to fit it too, these haven't been offered in years either. Most such once popular aftermarket stuff is long gone now from lack of demand, but might turn up some NOS or  used stuff on ebay.

Nice car BTW, looks very clean and well maintained. Did you just pick it up, or have you had it a while?

KD

I just picked it up off of Craigslist. I took it home and gave it a good cleaning.

There are specific directions to remove the trim. You will need a torx driver as there are one screw in each vent and on some Reattas torx screws in the top of the trim piece. The silver part of the trim piece is NOT a part of the top panel, they are two parts. Be sure to get your finger tips under the silver panel. I start at the inside edge [the edge closest to the instrument panel {IPC}] as the entire panel once the torx screws are out are held in place with friction clips.

Because I sell parts and have to test them I just use the friction clips and never put the torx screws back in.