Rack and Pinion assembly replacement

Posti

I am starting to lose power steering fluid from my 1989 Reatta coupe  I remember the steering racks as being a problem in GM cars of the period, and saw the instructions in the technical section.  It looks pretty straightforward, but I have never done the job before.  Any pitfalls to look out for?

• 1 month later...

After letting the Reatta sit for a couple of months, I finally took it over to a garage near the house and am having them do the rack replacement. I don't have a lift, and also just had hernia surgery, so it will be a while before I can manage the twisting and hefting required for heavy auto repairs. The total job should be under $500, and I can manage the smaller jobs I have outstanding on the car. I'll post with the results when I get it back.

Good luck with your recovery.

I attended a seminar a few years ago by one of the lead engineers at the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant.  He recommended Lucas Oil Power steering stop leak.  He said to try it before replacing the GM rack and pinion as it softens the seals on cars that sit a lot.

My 88 Reatta had a constant drip.  I had used the Lucas  for my previously owned C4 Corvettes with great success.  It worked like a charm on my Reatta!.  I siphoned out as much of the fluid as I could and filled it with the Lucas product and also some "high mileage" fluid that I had on the shelf.

It took a few weeks to totally stop the leak.  Give it a try.  Much cheaper than having a new rack installed!

The car is already at the shop - I'll keep the Lucas suggestion in mind in case I run into a similar issue.

I went to get the car at lunch - and took it right back. The steering wheel was cocked right to go straight ahead. The head mechanic took it for a test drive and pulled it onto the rack - I have to go back to pick it up tonight. I am a little disappointed they did not do a formal alignment - may have to look into that as a side cost, but the overall job was not really bad - $485 with parts.

I really think that price should have included at least setting the toe adjustment and centering the steering wheel. I can understand them not doing a full blown alignment with setting they caster and camber. Caster and camber shouldn't be affected by swapping out the rack but any good mechanic knows the toe-in adjustment will be off as well as the steering wheel. They should have told you right up front if adjusting after installing the rack would be an additional cost.

That shop is unprofessional and is ruining their reputation. No way should a shop do a major steering repair and not do a proper alignment. The rack sells for about $75.00 in any parts house. That leaves about $400.00 for a 3 hour job including an alignment. I know because my local shop [baumgarts] did it when I had one replaced about 60,000 miles ago on the Red.