A/C o-ring kit & R-134 adapter HELP!!!

Jbreedon

Hello to all!

After 2 years of no A/C in my brother's 89 Reatta, I decided to jump in with both feet & replace everything (except the compressor...I know it is working).  The tutorial on removing the evaporator was excellent.  I'm pretty sure I found the reason for no cold air.

Reatta Evaporator.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what seals/o-rings are needed to install the A/C manifold? If anyone could offer some help it would be appreciated.

I purchased a new a/c manifold via the Reatta store.  It doesn't seem to fit correctly.  The manifold mating surface is slightly larger than the raised portion of the compressor.  The old manifold had the "rubber washers" installed (no O-rings).  Installing the new manifold with rubber washers leaks like a sieve.

Do you know of any secrets to the installation making it tight?  I was thinking of filing the manifold down just a bit to fit inside the raised section of the compressor.  Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

I feel you're pain. There are so many different HR-6 compressors out there that the General used, plus the replacements, and they ALL had different inlet/outlet bosses. I've done this many times. You need the correct set of metal/rubber gaskets to work, or it'll leak like a sieve. I'm not comfortable reinstalling a manifold on a compressor in the car; I ALWAYS do it on the bench. Assures you get it right. That said, I believe you can buy a bag of the washers and custom fit the CORRECT one. I find that when the manifold is clamped down, there should be "about" a 1/32-1/16" gap between the manifold and the compressor base.

When you buy a new compressor, they usually provide a bag of these washers.

FYI don't use used or reman compressors. My experience is they're nothing but trouble. The NEW Chinese compressors are fairly reasonable and work very well. I've used maybe 12 in the recent past (not on the same car!); sometimes you can pick up a Delco on E-bay reasonably.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help out.  After several hours of research, I found the HR-6 compressor takes a "special" o-ring.  I'm not sure if it's the inlet or outlet port...It's the port obviously deeper than the other. 

"Seal Washer Kit"

ACDelco 15-2720

GM 2724575

NAPA 207276

None of the GM dealerships had the kit (2 THICK washers).  My local Cadillac parts dept. was nice enough to give me the NAPA part #.  The washer kit can be found on Amazon & E-bay.  The compressor takes one thick washer from the kit & a regular washer you get in the standard O-ring kit from the parts store.

After putting everything together, I drew a vacuum for 4 hours & let it sit overnight.  Didn't drop a bit!  Now running with a freezing A/C!!!

Special thanks to  fordrodsteven for posting the extensive "Evaporator replacement for DUMMIES".  The tutorial was spot on.

Thanks again friends.  This forum has been a life saver!

Regards,