Problem starting - No Crank, security light steady

jglawnyc

Hi fellow owners:

My '91 Reatta has developed problems starting.  After sitting overnight or for a very long time, with the key in the on position,  the security light will go out and the car will start. 

The rest of the times (even after having just driven it for 30 mins or more) when I attempt to start, the security light will stay on steadily and the car will not crank (it does make any cranking noise, not even a click)  and does not start.

I recently replaced the battery and checked the connections from battery to the vehicle and all seem to be fine.

I tested the ohm/impedance tested the coils and all seemed to be fine.

I thought it might be the ignition pass key system (all ready tried both keys, no difference), or the cutoff switch connected to driver window up button, but if that does not explain why it will start that one time per day.

Please let me know if you have any ideas what I should try next to help narrow down and solve this issue?

thanks in advance

jg

Welcome to the forum!

I think the problem is with the security system but I can't explain why it would only start when it is cold. There is a starter interrupt relay in the system that could be getting hot or is otherwise defective causing it to only start when it has cooled off. A common problem is for the security system wires breaking that go down the steering column. Information on that is below. You might find the wiring diagrams below useful. I don't know if the '91 model is the same.

VATS/Passkey System Bypass Instructions

starter_circuit.jpg.8a0bb9b9965586f11d44630392467d28.jpg

starter_interupt_relay.jpg.c0b3f4cc75432df5d9e0639e1e007558.jpg

Thanks Ronnie: She wouldn't start at all today....looked for the schematic you sent in the shop manual but couldn't find it, so I printed your reply. I got contorted under the left side of the dash in the foot-well but did see any of the components. Please help me orient myself....do I need to remove the dash and light switch module to get at the theft interrupt, or is it in the engine bay under the power brake system? Barney Eaton had suggested crank position sensor or coil pack with circuit board. I may have to get a mechanic involved but trying hard to figure it out myself. This is much more complicated than my 65 Skylark!

It is on the inside near the parking brake under the dash. Maybe this photo will give you an idea about how to find it. It's not going to be easy to get at. Your '91 might be different.

Barney knows his stuff but in your first post I understood you to say the starter wasn't turning "not even a click". If that is correct the crank sensor or the other ignition parts won't cause that. Another possibility you might want to check is the park/neutral safety switch on the transmission but I don't know how heat would effect it.

650x286http://reattaowner.com/forum/attachment.php?thumbnail=506[/img]

starter_interupt_relay2.jpg.0b67823e0f6853c9632bf1b00744227c.jpg

I had a very similar problem. It would start fine cold, but if I drove it for awhile and shut it off, nothing, I would have to let it sit for 20 min. to a half hour and then it would start again. Mine turned out to be theft deterrent relay. To locate the theft deterrent module, you will have to remove the hood latch release lever and move it out of the way. Have a good bright flashlight. A 10mm socket with a long extension is enough to remove the one bolt. Pull down the module and swap out the relay.

I had a similar problem. The car would start fine. After driving a while, it would not start. I am sure you have checked this possible fault. My negative battery cable connection side bolt was partially stripped. It would snug up but would loosen enough to prevent a circuit. Other times, it would make a high rasp that sounded like a solenoid. $1.99 fro two bolts at Autozone.

Marty196 - I had the exact same problem, and replaced mine and no more problem.

I first realized what was going on when I turned on my AC for the first time and the car died, wouldn't start. I waited for 15mins turned off the AC and I heard this click like a relay was being reset. So then I tried starting it and it did. I then hesitantly turned on the AC and same thing, so I started checking the connections and that is when I found that my Negative cable was a little loose still snug like you say but just enough to cause my problems. I tried tightening it but it was stripped also.

I had a very similar problem. It would start fine cold, but if I drove it for awhile and shut it off, nothing, I would have to let it sit for 20 min. to a half hour and then it would start again. Mine turned out to be theft deterrent relay. To locate the theft deterrent module, you will have to remove the hood latch release lever and move it out of the way. Have a good bright flashlight. A 10mm socket with a long extension is enough to remove the one bolt. Pull down the module and swap out the relay.

The timing of this is ironic as I went to my mechanic today (in my wonderful new Envision) and discussed the matter with him, arranging to bring in the Reatta next week for a pass-key bypass.  Now droid, you've convinced me to swap out the relay myself and see if that works.  Towards that end, can you advise the part number, type and where you got the theft deterrent relay?  Is it available in the Reatta Store?  Much thanks!!

The timing of this is ironic as I went to my mechanic today (in my wonderful new Envision) and discussed the matter with him, arranging to bring in the Reatta next week for a pass-key bypass.  Now droid, you've convinced me to swap out the relay myself and see if that works.  Towards that end, can you advise the part number, type and where you got the theft deterrent relay?  Is it available in the Reatta Store?  Much thanks!!

I can't find a part number for that relay. I don't think a specific relay is in the Reatta Store to replace the starter interrupt relay. If you can get it out your local auto parts store should be able to match it up for you.

Thanks so much again guys.  Armed with the advice and photos/diagrams, I contorted myself back under the dash to pull the relay and head to autozone......and couldn't find anything.  I knew it wouldn't be easy but geez, it's a complicated mess under there, and nothing looks like shown in he diagrams.  It was at this point that I realized that droid was referring to the theft deterrent relay, and Ronnie the starter interrupt relay, neither of which I could locate after an hour of trying.  Your  assistance is greatly appreciated.  Bypass scheduled for next weeK.

It's possible the relays could be in a different location on your '91. Let me see if I can find any information that might tell.

The relay I swapped out was the common one used throughout our Reattas. Sorry, I'm not sure of the part #.images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3tRza8K6sgLBnLMX6Cr-ncUvcPneg9FRqnhP5HuMBjv7GMBOuwA

• 1 month later...

Well Reatta brothers, just to come full circle and end this mystery........after contorting the human body in ways never intended by our maker, we were able to get the starter (theft deterrent) relay swapped out.  My green '91 was apparently unhappy and did not respond kindly, or rather, at all.  Thereafter, trying daily for its occasional start, it decided to come alive earlier this week and I drove it straight to my trusted mechanic for a pass-key by-pass.  Four days later baby is safely tucked comfortably in the driveway with its starting issues resolved.  The mechanic decided to do his own thing and ended up replacing the ignition key tumbler and column wiring connecting it to the pass-key system.  Everything works great now and my security system is still intact and I even unexpectedly lost a little extra weight (in my wallet) (not to mention the new battery which had been a suspect at the dawn of this story).  Now gallantly on to the replacement of the blower control module, which luckily I can do myself... some new speakers......the ever-so-just-starting to sag headliner..........new tires................perhaps a repaint......................jeez, where does it end?