source for intermediate parking cable

fordrodsteven

Hi All, Here is a possible option for the intermediate brake cable for our Reatta's. I have been working to get a replacement Intermediate cable for my '88. I contacted Inline Tube Company and they are making me a new cable. I am paying a design / setup charge in addition to buying the cable for $25.00 but the good news is that it can be bought. My contact at Inline Tube is Pete Nicotri in the marketing department (pete.nicotri@inlinetube.com). He told me that they will not be adding it to their catalog but will save the information in their files for any future orders of the intermediate cable. When I get the pertinent information (P/N, methods of payment, where to purchase) I will come back and add it to this thread. Their website says all orders ship within 24 hours. They sell on-line direct or on Amazon and Ebay. That's it for now. I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this somewhat valuable information.

No rules violated by posting about parts that are so hard to get. Thank you for taking the time to find a source for a cable that is no longer available. Once you find the details about how to obtain the cable I will post it on ROJ in the vendor section to make it easy to find.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....I got my two cables after the Memorial day holiday as promised. I opened it up. The cable they made had an incorrect end assembled at the aft end of the outer casing. I returned the cable to them for repair. I sent them an Allante cable the second time. I was not about to possibly lose my original cable again!. They fixed the end on the outer casing and sent the cables back to me. I got them yesterday afternoon. I decided today to put the cable on the car and ran into another problem. They installed a 5/16-18 threaded end. The original is M8-1.25 threads. So I could not thread on the captured adjusting nut in the front equalizer. I sent them an E-mail. Maybe it can be made correctly on their third try. They have issued a part number but I'm afraid to share it at this time. If they can get it right I will then share the part number. It looks like the cost will be $100. I will update when I know more. By The way the lengths of the inner cable and outer casing are just right. The only other thing is the rubber that goes on the outside of the casing is a little larger diameter than the rubber on the original cable. It fits through the openings okay but it's just a little tight when threading it through.

programmerlinkage.jpg.36ffc7734307ec9e5a618f05e4f83ed3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... So here is an update! I have some bad news but I also have some maybe good news! Bed news is that there is nothing available new that is a direct replacement onto the Reatta. Even a  $100 special order part from inline tube is not plug and play. They supply it with the wrong threads on the adjustment rod. It is supposed to be M8-1.25 but they will only supply 5/16-18. The sales engineer there thinks he knows more than any of us and insists that the part will fit perfectly and the thread difference will not affect fit or function. That is because he thinks the rod just feeds through a hole on a bracket and any hex nut will do the job. He does not understand that the Reatta has a nut enclosed in an equalizer where the adjustment is made. and yes, I feel like I wasted $100 for a special order cable that is not plug and play. I figured since I was not really satisfied with Inline Tube I would try something else.

Now this is what I am calling the maybe good news! I just successfully replaced my intermediate cable on my car using a brand new cable that is readily available at many sources. (less than $20 plus shipping) It turns out to be inexpensive, but.... The cable has to be modified a little bit to work on the Reatta. This other cable also has the 5/16-18 thread so I had to re-thread the nut inside the equalizer. (which I can also buy new readily available for less than $10 plus shipping) I found that the outside diameter of the 5/16 and the M8 threaded adjusting rod is the same diameter. The difference is that the metric thread has one more thread per inch. I don't like re-cutting threads with a different pitch because there ends up being some disrupted threads but I put it together and it works. I know I can buy another adjustment nut / equalizer so I wasn't too worried about that part of the equation.

So... Now I have a couple questions. I want to know if anyone might be interested in the information (both the Inline Tube and the other process / parts that I used) or if anyone would be interested In me getting the materials together and doing the modifications and you pay me $60 plus shipping and I will send a brand new cable and adjusting equalizer that will be plug and play to the Reatta.

I have 3 Reattas and in Wisconsin we don't have safety tests. I have not ever used my emergency cable on any of my cars. So either they are like new or rusted solid.

I am sorry but I will pass.

I have 3 Reattas and in Wisconsin we don't have safety tests. I have not ever used my emergency cable on any of my cars. So either they are like new or rusted solid.

I am sorry  but I will pass.

No problem!  We do have safety inspection here in Massachusetts. They check that the parking brake works. I was just putting it out here for anyone that might want the information or the cable. It is an alternative that will work for those that need to have a working parking brake.

Steve

Thanks to Steve (fordrodsteven) we now have a how-to guide on ROJ for replacing the intermediate parking brake cable. The how-to guide can be found here: Intermediate Parking Brake Cable Source

Steve deserves a big pat on the back for spending  his time and money on a quest to find a cable that will work on our Reattas. We need more people with Steve's ingenuity, persistence and thinking outside the box to help keep our cars on the road.