New member intro and question

Rustbelt

Hello fellas, looking at purchasing my first Reatta, a 1988 w/ 78K.

Only issues I see is needing struts, and an issue with the touch screen/cruise control.

I can price out and handle struts, but need advice regarding the electronic issue.

Apparently the cruise control is not working on the car, which is triggering the touch screen to flash about every 30 seconds that there is an engine issue. The touch screen diagnostics indicate that the issue is the cruise.

I can live without the cruise, but not with the constant touch screen notice.

Any cheap, easy, first time owner solutions?

Thanks for your input and advice.

Welcome!  I recently moved from the Grand Rapids, MI area and purchased a rust free 88 Reatta here in Arizona.  I have to say that it is quite a pleasure to work on a rust free car!

There are several experts here who will be able to help you out.  In the meantime I will pull out my Reatta assembly manual and see what I can find and hopefully post up some info for you.

Welcome to the forum!

To find out what is causing the warning to flash on the screen you will have to check for trouble codes stored in the computer. Follow the instructions found here for reading the codes. Then report what the codes you find here on the forum. That will allow us to  help you pin point the problem.

As a potential owner you may find this useful:

What should I check when buying a Reatta?

Why is diagnostics telling me I have so many problems?

Thank you fine gents for the responses. I'll look over the info and see where I end up. I have not purchased the car yet, but I'm leaning that way. I was surprised today on the test drive that the head room was as tight as it was. I'm only 5'10" and my hair (whats left of it) rubbed the headliner. Tilting the seat back helped as well as the sunroof, but I thought there would be a little more headroom. I appreciate the quick responses and helpfulness, I'll need to make my decision soon if I want to make this Reatta my own.

The seat must have not been run all the way down. I'm 6 feet 1/2" and headroom isn't a problem if I sit straight up. If the cruise control and struts are the only problems it should be an easy fix. Lots of people here with knowledge and the parts are available to fix that. You just have to be willing to do the work or know someone who can do it at a reasonable cost.

BTW, check closely for rust underneath. That can be a BIG problem.

The struts as Ronnie says is an easy fix as you will probably need new mounts and struts. I would buy them locally and use Monroe as they offer a lifetime replacement warranty. If you drive miles like I do and they wear out you can simply go back to your local parts house and exchange them for new ones. But be sure to keep your reciept and make a copy or scan and save as the ink fades on their reciepts..

The cruise unit is also fairly straight forward. First check all the vacuum hoses. They are probably original and are bad on the inside. Replace the hoses and if the problem persists then remove the cruise control modulator and suck on the large hose opening, if the top draws in and "holds" the modulator is good, and that is your problem. Used cruise control modulators are readily available in your local junk yard. I remove them from well cared for Le Sabres/Park Models [i go to a "You Pick" yard] as these cars had the least use and the best care being owned buy older people for most of their lives.

A salute to the men and women (past, present, alive and passed) who served our country and protected America and it's way of life. I hope this Memorial weekend, you feel honored and appreciate for providing all of us the freedom we enjoy today. Thank you for your service.

Still considering the purchase of the 88 Reatta (red & tan). The owner is away this weekend so I can't see the car again or ask any questions, or pinpoint the codes on the failed cruise control. I was thinking more on what was a lack of headroom, and the comment that those taller than me did not experience that problem. It was suggested that perhaps the seat was not/could not be in its lowest position. Question - does the range of height differ depending on if the seat has a 6 or 16 position control? The car I'm considering has a 6 position control, and perhaps that's why it wouldn't allow as much headroom as say a 16 position control would.

Just a thought.....

My car has the 6 way seats. There are two separate seat adjustments for the front and rear of the seats. Perhaps one or the other hadn't been lowered all the way?

I'll check it out better when I see the car again next week. Hopefully that's the case.

The factory sunroof does take away some head room.  And yet, when my 6'6" son wanted to drive the Reatta, he was able to use the 6 way power seat adjustments to find a comfortable position to drive.  

The factory sunroof was not available at the beginning of the 1988 model year but was introduced later in the year.