tinkering tody, Brake rattle, intermediate cable, abs light

fordrodsteven

Hi Guys, So today I decided to put the Reatta up on the lift to check out why me rear drivers side brake is rattling so badly. I looked at it and really didn't see anything wrong or anything loose. Here's where one thing leads to another...... I went to the front brakes just to look at them and found the back side of the right hand rotor had two grooves in it. I checked the pads and they still have a lot of meat. I must have missed seeing the grooves when I put the new pads on. So I took the front apart to get the rotors turned. Of course I must sand blast and paint the brackets and other hardware. LOL. I figured while I was there I might as well check out the ABS sensors. The gears had a lot of surface corrosion so I cleaned those up. Then I unbolted the sensors. I was going to change them out with the replacement set I bought from Dave last year. Once I pulled them away I could see they were pretty crudded up. I cleaned them and put them back together figuring if it fixes the light then I still have an extra set of good sensors. They don't look that hard to change and I can change them later if need be. So while I'm here I replaced the cracked outer CV boot on the driver's side. As I was leaving the garage to go into the house for supper I looked one more time at the rear brakes. I noticed that I have the two anti rattle clips on the passenger side but none on the drivers side. I looked through my spare parts and found a pair of clips. Guess I'll be doing that next!

Oops - I forgot to mention the intermediate cable! I have been in contact with a guy named Peter at Inline Tube. He says If I can send him a cable he can get the dimensions off of it and set up to make a replacement. He calculates that the cost for the first cable might be around $100. My cable on my car is good. I was thinking I might pull the cable and send it to him for the dimensions. It just kills me that I'll pay him $100 for a cable I really don't need but then it would be in their inventory catalog for all of Reatta world. Yeah.... Maybe I'll pull the cable off my car tomorrow.

The dreaded "while I'm in there" beast strikes again!

Thanks for setting things up for the rest of us though :idea:

Okay - so you guys that "know" can start openly giving me some "loll's". How naïve could I be to think that clean the ABS sensors and gears would make light shut off? Oh well. I assembled things enough to start the car and see if the light went off. It didn't - but you guys knew that would happen. Lol. As I said earlier I have a known good set of front sensor so I can troubleshoot and change out whatever is needed. As I keep telling my brother-in-law.... I've got time - I'm retired!

One more question before I pull the ABS codes. I think I remember reading somewhere that the left / right troubleshoot readout doesn't follow "normal" American convention. That the issue would actually be opposite. ie: if my code tells me left front that it is actually the passenger side and not the driver's side. The EBCM readout is based on forward looking back as if standing in front of the car. Am I correct?

If you have a EBCM reader then the left is the driver's side and the right is the passenger side. If you are reading ALDL codes the left side is the passenger's side and the right is the driver side

I think that is correct.

If you have a EBCM reader then the left is the driver's side and the right is the passenger side. If you are reading ALDL codes the left side is the driver's side and the right is the passenger side

Thank you Ron, Dave. Dave, Are you saying that EBCM and ALDL read the same? Or do you mean they read opposite?

Sorry. I corrected my post about the sides.

I pulled the ABS codes and it said rear left. I unplugged it and found one of the contact sockets had pushed in and probably was not making contact with the pin. I worked on it and got the socket and pin to "hook up". I know that I have to drive it more than 18 MPH for it to reset. I'm still waiting on some brake parts so I don't have it back together as of yet. I'll keep working on it after I get the brakes put back together.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I still have ABS light so I will continue tinkering with that. Now I'm getting code E031 (park/neutral start switch). Maybe I did something while I had the column apart? Anyway, I'll be going through the troubleshoot procedure to fix that too!