passing gear

sebring123

I have a 1990 buick reatta. When I floor it, it doesn't go into passing gear. It doesn't bog down or buck. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Last year I had the same problem, when I would step on the gas normally it was fine, but when I floored it, it would just slowly accelerate; it wouldn't downshift either.

Upon further investigation I had found that my kickdown cable had been melted and was binding up not moving freely. The cable would move a little bit allowing for normal operation but not for overdrive and downshifting. The owner before me must have removed the exhaust heat shields in that area causing the problem.

I replaced the cable and that fixed it, but the cable I bought was a little longer; which was good because then I could route it out of the way of the exhaust.

If your cable is moving freely then maybe your shift points are off. If you do a search on this forum on TV Cable or Kick Down Cable you should find out how to adjust the cable and the P/N I used.

If that doesn't fix it then I'm not sure what to tell you, I don't want to suggest anything scary like transmission. Maybe someone else on here might have a better suggestion.

-Scott

It's not too unusual for the plastic cap on the end of the cable to break where it hooks to the throttle body. Look to see if it has popped off the ball on the part of the throttle that pulls the cable. It happened to me a few years ago and I had the symptoms you describe. I tied it on with a small piece of wire and it's never popped off again.

I'll look at both of those solutions and let you know if that was the problem...

The connection on the end of cable had come off the ball. Hooked it back up and it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

I'll look at both of those solutions and let you know if that was the problem...

The connection on the end of cable had come off the ball. Hooked it back up and it worked fine. Thanks for the help.

That's great! Glad that fixed it for you. Thanks for letting us know! If it pops back off you may have to tie it onto the ball someway.