o2 sensor or ground issue?

Noosh

Hello all, I'm a proud new owner of a 1989 Buick Reatta, with 157,000 miles.  This was a one owner (have all original purchase paperwork, both owners manuals, AND a complete gm service manual) always garaged.  It is a metalic cherry wine color, very reminiscent of the Impala SS color, with tan interior.  Sun roof and 16 way adjustable seats.  I picked it up for a song, and am educating myself, before going about repairing some minor things.  From what I have read on the forum, my issues seem common, and pretty straight forward to fix.  I will add photos soon, and have a million and one questions already.  I'm pretty sure these rigs are "jump in, head first", or "run, just run away".  I'm jumping.

This rig is a 9/10, with everything working as it should.  I've done a few things, like cleaning and lubing up the sunroof track, replacing a handful of front bulbs, etc..  The stereo sounds decent, but I think I'd like to replace the speakers, and the radio head unit, (with refurbished stock head, and new infiniti speakers) as there is a lot of static in the system.  Other than that, here it is.

Issues as follows...

1. E013 code.  11.8 mpg.  RICH exhaust. 

I plan to get a new o2 sensor, but I see on the forum, that's not always a cure.  I am also getting codes for my refrigerant for the A/C is low.  The previous owner just had the A/C filled two weeks ago. Although unrelated issues, I saw a thread from '05, which stated the owner had these same two codes.  He replaced the ECM, and had a ground wire bad.  Fixed them and ran like a charm.  I'm curious about the ground wire thing.  I have had this issue in other GM rigs (mostly Camaros), and would like to check them before diving in to other repairs.  These are the only service codes coming up.  ABS light is on, but I will address it at a later time.  It stops fine.  It runs great, albeit rich.  Starts right up, every time.  

I will address issues one at a time, and this is the most important.  Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! It appears you are taking the time to learn about your Reatta and some of the common problems. That is the best thing you can do to get your car into good condition. Sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to be done to the sound system to solve the problems you have with it.

You should take the time to get to know the Onboard Diagnostic Booklet. It is your best friend for troubleshooting your Reatta. The onboard diagnostic system is one of the best features of a Reatta when it comes to finding problems.

I would change the O2 sensor first and see if the code E013 goes away. Most likely it will. I consider the O2 sensor to be a maintenance item that should be changed routinely just like spark plugs or any other maintenance item.  The peace of mind you get with knowing it is in good condition is worth the cost - plus you  might save you some money on fuel.

The low AC warning will lock out the compressor until the BCM is reset. It is a safety mechanism that keeps the compressor from being damaged due to low Freon. The easiest way to reset it so the compressor will run is to disconnect the battery cable for a couple of minutes and the reconnect. It can be reset in the on-board diagnostic system but sometimes that won't work and you still have to disconnect the battery cable. If the warning comes back either the system has a Freon leak or isn't being filled with the proper amount of Freon. The warning system is effected by the outside ambient temperature. My car gives the warning sometimes if I run the compressor and it is cold outside.

Starting a new thread for each problem you encounter is highly recommended.

Thanks Ronnie. I will post separate threads in the future. Just wanted to give an overview of what I have going on. I got a new o2 sensor, that will go on later today. I am also considering boring out the restriction plate, at the junction just below the o2 sensor (found suggestion in another thread). Seems like this would gunk up the o2 sensor often, since it gives carbon a place to build up, I will decide when I get it apart. I hate doing things twice.

Once the sensor is replaced, and restriction plate dealt with, I will disconnect battery for a couple minutes, if code comes back, and cross my fingers. Thanks for the suggestion. More to follow.

One down!!! The new o2 sensor cured my E013 code, and it has a marked difference in performance. I'm a happy man. Now on to the next issue! Thanks Ronnie. (Didn't have to unplug battery.)

Food to hear a new sensor fixed it. Thanks for letting us know...