Best plugs and wires?

droid5977

I'm going to change my spark plugs and ignition wires next Saturday. What would be the best for my 90' ?

:huh:

AC Rapid Fire 14.  There is some question as to whether you should change the gap from the factory or not.  Wires would be any top quality brand.

I just did this and found the task was made easier by removing the 2 heavy metal brackets that bolt to the back of the block.  This gives you more room to play with. The power steering pump can be removed and set aside.  While you are in there it might be a good idea to install a new O2 sensor.

I've been getting a miss or a stutter at cruising speed so I thought I'd change out the plugs and wires, but after further inspection, I've got the "green goo" seeping out of the coil pack and ICM. I've been thinking of switching over to the newer style coil pack. Anything I should know before I start this switch?

Everything you need to know to change to the ACDelco ignition system is pretty much covered HERE.  Thanks to Padgett for providing the information.

Here is what the connector on the ACDelco ICM should look like if you go to a salvage yard to get one. I printed the photo below and took it with me to make sure I got the correct one.

ICM_connector_pinout1988-90.jpg

Thanks for the info Ronnie. I got the AC Delco ICM and coils installed. Changed out plugs and wires and she is running so much better. I picked up the coils/ICM at a local Pick-n-Pull off an early 90's supercharged Olds 88. They looked like they were just installed shortly before the car was wrecked (no dust or grime on the coils, but on the rest of the engine.) much cheaper than new.

Ok, I think I may have gotten a bad ICM/coil pack at the Pick-n-Pull. It was fine when it was cold, but when the engine warmed up, it started missing and bucking on acceleration. Any thoughts?

Well, just answered my own question. Went out put in the old ICM/coilpack. No miss on acceleration, back to the miss at cruising speed. I'll swap the other one at Pick-n-Pull tomorrow.

Wow I'm sorry that is frustrating :(

I wonder if there is any degradation of the coils being out in the elements at the pick-n-pulls, because it seems like it is a 50/50 chance of getting a good working one. Does anyone else have any input on this?

I think it is probably the age of the parts you are getting at the salvage yards. I got a good one the first time I went. It has been on my car for several years. I intended to get two of them that day thinking one of them would be bad but I could only find one the day I went.

You can use a Buick Lacrosse or Lucerne up to 2007. That should get you years of service.

OK. Went and got another coil pack. This one seems to work good. Haven't heard any misfires. Whilst I was working on the car, I decided to tackle a few other minor problems. The 16 way seat housing on the seat had broken and i epoxied it and reattached it. Seat motors seem to be froze up. Controls on the door work fine, but controls on the seat are stuck. I can hear the motors engaging, but not moving. I'll look in to that later. I finally got to my right headlight motor. When I had first gotten the car, I got the redesigned arms and delrin rollers through Kingsley. I had replaced the left side, because it wasn't working at all, but the right side was working, but not well. To make a long story short, the rollers that were powder, are now replaced and working well. I love this forum.