remove ignition switch? 1988 coupe

fordrodsteven

Hi Guys. I just did a quick search in the tutorials then tried to do a site search for information. I came up with nothing. I just pulled my Reatta out from winter sleep last week. Before I put it away I noticed the ignition switch didn't click all the way back to the "on" (run) position and I had to nudge it into position. Now I notice when starting the car that I have to turn it a bit harder when I reach the point where it should engage the starter. It's gets to that starting point and I have to force it with a little more pressure to make the contact and engage the start cycle. I don't like it because I feel at some point I'll go to start the car and end up stranded because I cannot push it that little bit further to make contact. Anyway. I looked at it quickly and it looks like the sleeve over the switch is removed by pulling the steering wheel off and sliding the shield up and off. Is there a tutorial here or possibly some instruction over at the AACA site? I am very technically and mechanically adept but just wondered if there might be a hint or two about things to watch for during disassembly / re-assembly. You know like flying springs and breaking plastic bits. I'm game to go for it but thought I'd ask first.

I found some information after a search at the AACA site. It looks like daves89 was in a discussion with someone back in 2011 and Daves advice was to just change out the steering column. It sounds like there is a rack and / or a pot metal part that can break inside the column or the rod that goes down to the bottom of the column doesn't work properly in unison with the key switch. So My question is now whether my problem might be at the bottom of the column and I might possibly free something up by getting up under there and trying some lubrication?

I've not done the job you are talking about so I can't offer you much help. I do know that a I've read that the problem you describe can be a broken "Rack". It is the part the lock mechanism moves when you turn the key. The ignition switch is actually at the bottom of the steering column and is actuated by the lock and rack. If that is the problem I've heard some people say it is easier to change the whole column that it it to replace the rack.  Keep in mind that I'm just repeating second hand information.

ignition_switch_location.jpg.1053c9bffcf2eb4bdc2335626959cb53.jpg

I would go to you tube and see what they have. I am sure there are a number of videos for GM ignitions. The saw tooth part in Ronnie's picture is available on Ebay.

I do have a good tan steering column for the '88/89.

I would sell it if you want it.

Thank you guys, I will look at the car tomorrow and report back here what I find and decide. Catch ya later!

I did this job on an 87 Corvette a few years back. Rent a lock plate release tool and a steering wheel puller from Auto Zone or the like. Have them show you how to use the release tool. If an "all thumbs" person like me can do it then so can you.

Be sure to run the seat all the way back to give yourself more room.

And yes, good You Tube videos out there.

Enjoy your fun in the garage!

A number of years ago I bought a Riviera steering column from a You Pick [Gibson's] not realizing they were different. When the column went bad on the Red, I took the Riv column to Kendall's house [my mechanic friend] and he used the parts in it to rebuild the Red's column. He had the tools and the knowledge and had it fixed in very short order.

I think it is mostly having the correct tools and a working knowledge...

Well it's a cold crappy rainy day out and my garage is not heated. I'm going to leave it for a while longer. I already have many tools and I'm sure I could take it apart to fix it. First thing though is I will look at the bottom of the column (at the ignition switch) to see if anything is binding or broken there. If it looks okay then I may dive into the top or possibly just change out the 29 year old column. I was planning on putting the car up for sale and my wife is aggravated that I will be working on it yet again. She wants me to be working on my 55 Thunderbird that I've had for 42 years.

I worked on the steering column today. So far it looks like a success! I got the tool at Autozone for removing and installing the plate. I got it open and pulled the lock cylinder out. It was not being held in as tight as it could . Maybe someone else had it apart before and didn't tighten everything. Anyway it's back together and seems to be working just fine.

Was a broken rack the problem or something else?

Something else! The pin that screws in to hold the lock cylinder wasn't tightened in all the way. I think someone else may have been into the column before and didn't tighten it all the way. I did a little clean up and renewed the lubrication. That may have helped it to work a little better also.

Good find. That's the first time I've heard of that happening. Thanks for coming back and letting us know the outcome.

That's good news. I was thinking long and hard about selling you mine and glad I don't have to.

I just like the idea of having one laying around waiting for a need that might never happen...