Door problems - 88

AZ Ron

Anyone else have this problem?

The door is so long that I really must be careful when opening it when parked next to another car.  Especially when I am parked to the right of my wife's Chevy Trax in the garage.

Most of the time I can only open the door part way and then I have to do contortions to get out.  On some occasions my right foot scrapes the speaker and the material just under it.  I have noticed that this material is starting to come loose.

I used to have the same problems in the Corvettes I  owned. :S

Ah yes, GM coffin doors. This is more of a problem in lots where they are stingy on the width of parking spaces (malls and some movie theaters are bad for this) so they can squeeze more spots in. I usually try to park at the end of a row or more often way out in the "cheap seats" when going someplace with a large lot to avoid door dings from inconsiderate drivers or wind blown shopping carts. I don't mind walking a few hundred extra feet to spare the condition of my car.

I've broken one speaker grill on the driver side by inadvertently kicking it getting out. Replaced it with a spare but am more careful now.

I have the same problem in my own garage. I've kicked the speaker grill several times. I have to be careful when I open the driver's door to keep from hitting my black Chevy Equinox. Seems like the detent on the door that holds it part of the way open is just right to put the door up against the Equinox. To help give a little more room I park both of them at a slight angle away from each other and they are less likely to hit.

Try parking two Reattas side by side. No winning with that one. Then it's the rub moldings that end up taking the abuse since they are at the same height.

I wish my Equinox had a rub molding on the door. If I need to work on my car with the door open for a while I tape a piece of foam to the edge of the Reatta door so I don't accidentally shove it back against the Equinox. If I have a big project like changing struts I just park the Equinox outside till I'm done. I've got a 24x36' , three car garage but it seems small when you get all the cars, lawn mower and storage cabinets in it.

I would give just about anything to have a large garage at home. Mine is an old double, only 20ft wide, 22ft long. I did add a 12ft x 20ft extension on the rear with a 4ft wide sliding door into the main for my shop. My lot is too small for much larger and I found my best solution to the narrowness is to back one in so the drivers doors have the max. space in between them. Not elegant, but helpful. If I can come up with the money I am considering a 30 X something at my cottage.

Ah yes, GM coffin doors.

I love that analogy, now I don't have to keep saying "those big a** doors" anymore.

Try this on for size - pun intended - I have 4 teenagers at home and our driveway and garage looks like a car lot. That's 7 cars. I really get on the kids case when they park too close to my Reatta's, so far I have managed to keep both of them ding free - Knock on wood!