Reatta styling model

AZ Ron

It is a very good actual size rendering. Not so sure about the white walls and disc wheel covers though. Then again, this was probably circa 1984-85 and that was typical GM styling at the time. Clearly, many details changed before production to shake off the dowdy GM mid 80's look so common on other models of the time. Check out the mounting on the side mirrors. That didn't make it to production either. Also just noticed they are lifting what appears to be a Targa top into position. I've seen this photo many times and just now caught that.

Thanks for posting the link. I found it interesting. Lots of photos of there that I'd never seen before. I didn't even know who David McIntosh was. I've got to do more reading on the development of the Reatta.

It is interesting how well that color appears to work on that shape, at least to my eye. Not sure about the wide whites, but I kind of like that smooth wheel look. It would be nice if the wheel openings were tightened up a bit to modernize it, but that is a common complaint. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting the link. I found it interesting. Lots of photos of there that I'd never seen before. I didn't even know who David McIntosh was. I've got to do more reading on the development of the Reatta.

I went to the Buick Reunion in Flint a number of years ago and he was a guest speaker for the Reatta Division. Nice guy. After he spoke there was a question/answer segment. I asked him why the "frog" style headlights. His answer was it kept the lines "right" in the styling of the Reatta. 

I still wish we had the narrow headlights used on some of the Olds cars. A lot fewer issues with the headlight cranks.

However if they had used the type I preferred we wouldn't be able to upgrade the bulbs as easily.

Dave, it's funny you mention that because somewhere a long time ago I had read the DOT required the popup headlamps so they met they met the minimum mandated height-from-ground level. Now, I would trust the recounting of a designer on the project over a random post I read somewhere, but the DOT requirement explanation sounds plausible enough. Of course, I can't argue that with the lamps retraced it does look nice and clean. The slim line lamps used on some other GM'S of the era would break up the flow of the front end, I think. Look at the current Corvette since popup lamps were eliminated. Subjective I know, but I don't much care for the newer projector headlamp behind a lens look debuted several years back.

I have toyed with modified headlights off and on because of the less than beautiful pop-ups. The federal standard for headlamp height is 22" from ground to center of lamp. That may have changed over time but if memory serves, just above the front marker lights would just make the cut. I did play with the slimline lights as used on some mid-'90's GM's and while they will fit in the available space, light output is less than desired. One item that is unclear in the federal standard is the quantity of the lights allowed. Generally it is four total lamps, but where do the multi-segment lights, such as LED's fit? Apparently if elements are grouped in a housing, it counts as one lamp? Presently if time and money wasn't an object, projector beams with HID low (dip) beam would be what I would use, and they are compact enough to recess behind a cover lens.

Isn't it interesting how the Reatta as a Concept car migrated to what we have now. Some of those pictures/drawings are very catchy especially the Green one with all the flared body panels and sleek round corners. Great read though.

I found this photo interesting because it looks so much about a later model Firebird.

ReattaTurboProposal.thumb.jpg.d24c977ba46c61401cd76351ee876726.jpg