Any tips on removing a relay?

AZ Ron

Great work Ron glad you got it fixed. Wow that old relay looks Crappy!

And that's what an Arizona/So Cal looks like.  Just imagine if it was from a rust belt state!

I plan to paint the relay black so it will not stand out so much.

I was hoping someone would respond with how to remove them from the clip. I forceably removed mine and they are now held in place with zip ties. i had thought about reding them with velcro but like your idea if buying relays with mounting tabs and screwing them up. Thanks for the idea.

I have never removed one of the relays on the firewall. I just assumed they had a small clip that would let go with downward force and they would come right off. I will try to figure out a good way of removing them today.

I wanted to learn how to remove the relays on the firewall in case I needed to do it out on the road... so out in the garage I go. Here is what I found. The relays are held onto the tabs with a small detent that goes into the hole in the mounting tab (at least on my car). You can feel them click into place when you install them.

The relay on the passenger side came right off with a little downward pressure applied with my thumb to the top of the relay while using my other hand to twist the relay from side to side to work it off the tab. It was tight but it came off.

The other two relays weren't so easy. They were almost frozen onto the tab. I tried several methods to get the middle one off without success. The best way I found to get it to come off was to use the handle of a hammer as a lever, wedged between the top of the relay and the metal crossbrace,  to apply steady, controlled, downward force to the top of the relay while twisting the relay in a rotating fashion side to side.  A lot of steady downward force can be applied to the top of the relay that way. Any lever could be used but the rubber hammer was handy on my workbench and it fit the space the way I wanted it to.

SAM_3651.JPG

SAM_3654_LI.thumb.jpg.5ee80f5c19767b1075e1aa6720e1f795.jpg

When I bought the Red the fuel pump relay was loose. I attached it with a zip tie but it slipped out and did exactly what you said. It dropped on the manifold and melted. Fotunately I was turning into a parking lot.

One call to a buddy who brought one to me. It was the only time I was stranded by the side of the road in all my years/miles of Reatta ownership.