new ignition module and coil installation - wiring question

radride90

Kind of off the wall, but did you check the crank sensor to see if it is in the proper position? On my '88 it was loose and slide to a point where the car would barely run. Something that is free to try.

Or you could try this:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.d5d26fbbe974940cdc02c0f01667b101.jpgthumbnail.thumb.jpg.5f8553dab91de2fc5f1b6578c91d343f.jpg

On 6/12/2024 at 6:36 PM, DAVES89 said:

Kind of off the wall, but did you check the crank sensor to see if it is in the proper position? On my '88 it was loose and slide to a point where the car would barely run. Something that is free to try.

i have not but i should. i can tell you that after having completed the installation of new injectors and a few of the vac lines, it started right up on the first crank 5 out of hte last 6 starts in past 2 days. 

there is something else still going on though because it still did have a slight hesitation on start up this morning. but after a stop at gas station restart was perfect. idle does vary a bit so to me that usually means a vac leak somewhere. i fought with the installation of the new PCV valve , that new grommet that goes in the case was impossible to get in with out removing the fuel rail. but i drove the car to work yesterday and today, only thing is my cruise control does not work so i will need to figure out why that is, but so far making good progess. 

On 6/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, wufibugs said:

Or you could try this:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.d5d26fbbe974940cdc02c0f01667b101.jpgthumbnail.thumb.jpg.5f8553dab91de2fc5f1b6578c91d343f.jpg

O tell me how you mounted  this? it requires an adaptor plate that is NLA, i have found the part number but it shows on every parts site as out of stock or out of production, 

the 1990 cars had the Magnavox and to convert over to this AC Delco unit and coils( i have them with new proper controller) but i dont have an adaptor plate to conver and mount. 

You will have to walk the You Pick yards and look for one...

And they are not just on Reattas!

Edited by DAVES89
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, radride90 said:

O tell me how you mounted  this? it requires an adaptor plate that is NLA, i have found the part number but it shows on every parts site as out of stock or out of production, 

the 1990 cars had the Magnavox and to convert over to this AC Delco unit and coils( i have them with new proper controller) but i dont have an adaptor plate to conver and mount. 

That Delco ignition was used on 12-15years of GM cars with the Series 1 and 2 3800's from 1990 through about 2005

I modified the magnavox heat sink as the mounting plate.  I took the magnavox module apart and removed and cleaned out all the innards leaving only the bottom plate.  I then ground off some material so the new module/adaptor that interfaces the Delco coils and the magnavox connector would fit into that baseplate.  The part number for the module is 10469470 or 10475225.  It was pricey at $63 off EBAY but like 2seater says, they are available from quite a number of early 90s GM cars [including the 91 Reatta]

On 6/18/2024 at 1:31 PM, 2seater said:

That Delco ignition was used on 12-15years of GM cars with the Series 1 and 2 3800's from 1990 through about 2005

is it worth finding a mounting plate and switching to that version? i have the proper ICM and coils. not sure how much difference it would be , for now i think the new Magnavox unit with the new plugs and wires seems to be doing fine. i need to figure out why i get the rough cold start, even after installing a few new vac lines, a new idle air valve, and new MAF.

If my 75 porsche had this issue i’d be looking at timing, but once set generally you don’t have to mess with it, and i don’t, i can jump in that car after not starting it for a month and it cranks right up. Only think i haven’t tried is a different ECU

I agree that it is probably not going to make any difference going over to the Delco setup.  The Magnavox puts out more than enough spark to run our engines.  A few people have on other GM forums have suggested the Delco setup made their cars run smoother but, frankly, I think that's more of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Spend a chunk on a mod, and our brains create the impression things have improved.  The Delco setup might produce a slightly hotter spark, but I doubt anything but a dyno could detect the difference.  I made the change because the Magnavox died.

Edited by wufibugs

Here's why the Delco makes sense. If you drive any miles or any distance you keep an extra Delco in your trunk. Then should you have a failure you can swap in the one part most likely to fail in about 10 minutes. And you don't have to worry about a hot engine because everything is right on top and easy to get to. Also a more common repair part.

The new Magnavox coil pack I bought had the wiring all mixed up in the instruction sheet (or so it seems). I just ignored the instructions and hooked it up exactly like the old one, and it ran perfectly.

On second thought it could have been the ICM instructions that were wrong. In any event, I put them in the round file

On 6/23/2024 at 9:22 PM, Anthony said:

On second thought it could have been the ICM instructions that were wrong. In any event, I put them in the round file

that was what i saw too , so it was running ok, then started to see a idle that was off, surging some and wanted to die. i assumed this was a vac leak so i replaced a few lines but no improvement- again alsways cold start was rough then would start but when it did i was blowing out smoke for a second then it cleared. But sunday after church i stopped at autozone and got stranded , wouldn’t start. checked and fuel pressure was 40 during cranking but dropped off fast, so i got a new fuel pressure regulator and installed it(this got down after it was home. then i got a new tester, found my pressure holding now and it stays at 32 during idle, and when off still holding, not leaking down, that was last night. it was running fine, it cranked right up no issue, so i went for a drive around the neighborhood and i wasn’t 1/4 mile away down the street it just died, stalled! would by then restart,  it fuel pressure was fine, so this must be an electrical short in the new Mgnavox ICM or maybe the ECU? voltage is perfect, , no flickering lights , just goes from running perfect to suddenly sputter and died. i’m at a loss at this point, 

On 6/18/2024 at 2:38 PM, wufibugs said:

I modified the magnavox heat sink as the mounting plate.  I took the magnavox module apart and removed and cleaned out all the innards leaving only the bottom plate.  I then ground off some material so the new module/adaptor that interfaces the Delco coils and the magnavox connector would fit into that baseplate.  The part number for the module is 10469470 or 10475225.  It was pricey at $63 off EBAY but like 2seater says, they are available from quite a number of early 90s GM cars [including the 91 Reatta]

i should have read this before o threw the old leaking goo unit away. i might have a friend cut me a 1/2” slab of aluminum and make my own mounting plate. i’d like to try the new Delconunit and coils i have sitting here to just see if it does the same thing . has to be a short or ground in unit or harness…. because it’s not the idle air valve, or the MAF i’ve now used 2 of those it’s didn’t stop or change the issue. 

also thinking about the crank sensor , i assume that can’t be accessed without removing the pully? 

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Any codes?

i did print out the instructions for that today so hoping to get a chance tonight after work to access the diagnostic system to check on codes. 

On 6/27/2024 at 12:49 PM, radride90 said:

i did print out the instructions for that today so hoping to get a chance tonight after work to access the diagnostic system to check on codes. 

On 6/27/2024 at 12:41 PM, Anthony said:

Any codes?

the codes found:

E026 H

B440 H

B552 H

B671  C

B673  C

r 025 H

r 034 H

r O61 H

cruise does not work so those don’t surprise me ,

What is E026?

also i didn’t find the r code list

i dont think any of those help bring me closer to figuring out why the sudden stalling or non start- i have not tried to start it tonight it it starts i can run diagnostics to see if anything shows up running but not running nothing shows

E026 is a "catch all" code. I had it once and what my issue was, was the SES light was out on the dash. I would clear the codes and read them again. But all I see as current are your cruise control issue. 

I still think you have a Crank sensor issue. What brand and part number did you use when you replaced it?

17 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

E026 is a "catch all" code. I had it once and what my issue was, was the SES light was out on the dash. I would clear the codes and read them again. But all I see as current are your cruise control issue. 

I still think you have a Crank sensor issue. What brand and part number did you use when you replaced it?

i have not yet replaced the crank sensor- probably because it

looks to be a difficult task- i got a AC Delco one ordered a few weeks ago but forgot about it with the fuel issue. now that those other issues are sorted im back to thinking this might be the case- 

so- i have to pull the belt, and pull the pully off the crank to access? how long of a job is it? probably what i’ll do on saturday afternoon if it’s not too hot or raining