embarrassing brakes

WHman

So recently i purchased an 88 reatta and since purchase it has had a strange grinding sound when braking or going around 5-15 MPH that is very obnoxious and sounds detrimental to the car itself. however i have had some trouble finding any information about this. Also, maybe related or not i have a yellow ABS light on intermittently when braking and i also lose about .1-.3 voltage when I apply the brakes, these may be normal but i figured id include these in here incase it’s pertinent information. I was hoping someone could point me in a direction to someone else’s post or they could give me some information about what to do. I’ll take a video of the brakes working later today.

Thanks. 

Sounds like an inspection of worn brake pads to me. The intermittent abs yellow warning light could indicate a worn abs lead. You should ceck the lead for fraying or cracking. It is the lead at each wheel that is not a brake line.

6 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Sounds like an inspection of worn brake pads to me. The intermittent abs yellow warning light could indicate a worn abs lead. You should ceck the lead for fraying or cracking. It is the lead at each wheel that is not a brake line.

I inspected my brakes and they seemed to me okay, the pads are nice and flat, seem a few months old at least but they still got some life left in them. however im not well acquainted with these vehicles so even if theyre still good should i replace them? or maybe i should look at the hardware itself as ive noticed my brakes do not have those metal clips on them like are present in most vehicles. the calipers and rotors are like new as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions and future support.

Your brakes may be worn down to where the "squealers" are touching the rotor when you apply the brakes. The squealers are attached to the pads and warn you when the brake pads worn enough that they need replacing.