1988 Set Cruise Button

TripleC321

Recently had my ignition/key/tumbler lock rack replaced. Required removing the steering wheel to get to it. 

after reassembly, I’ve noticed the cruise set/coast button on the turn signal stalk no longer works. The turn signal still works, and the resume/accel switch works, but not the set/coast. 

is there a chance I assembled something wrong? Or is the button on the stalk just worn and failed now?

9 minutes ago, TripleC321 said:

After reassembly, I’ve noticed the cruise set/coast button on the turn signal stalk no longer works. The turn signal still works, and the resume/accel switch works, but not the set/coast. 

How do you  know the resume button works if you can't set it?  I thought you had to push the set button anytime the engine is restarted before you could resume the speed.  Are you sure the cruise control is turned on with the button on the dash?

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

How do you  know the resume button works if you can't set it?  I thought you had to push the set button anytime the engine is restarted before you could resume the speed.  Are you sure the cruise control is turned on with the button on the dash?

Yes, the cruise button on the dash resumes whatever state it was in before the engine was turned off (if it was off it’s still off, vice versa.) The last cruise speed setting is not saved after the engine is off. 

I know cruise is working cause I can push the resume/accel button once after a fresh engine restart, and it will set cruise at the speed I am at. I can then accelerate cruise speed by pushing and holding the resume/accell button as normal. 

Did you not know you can set new cruise using the resume button?

2 hours ago, TripleC321 said:

Did you not know you can set new cruise using the resume button?

No, actually I didn't. I usually drive on the back roads here in Tennessee that have lots of curves and hills so I rarely used cruise control on my Reatta. I do remember that the cruise had to be turned on with the switch on the dash.

I wish I could offer a solution to your problem but other than maybe a wire getting pinched or broke during the work you did I don't know what the problem could be. You can go into BCM diagnostics and look at BCM Inputs B176 (cruise set button) & B177 (cruise resume button) to see if what diagnostics show when  you press the buttons.