Suspension and Hub replacement

Clay-Goose-Davis

I’m doing the front struts on my 91.

They were totally shot and everything else in the wheel well is looking rough too. 

Im looking to replace

Ball Joints

Wheel Bearings

Control Arm bushings

Inner & Outer Tie rods

Sway bar end links and Bushings

The Boots on the axels and cv joints aren’t torn and seem ok, so I don’t think I need to swap them.

Which manufacturers are recommended for the other parts? 

Which components is it a must to get the high end version?

Get brand name parts and you will be fine. I never skimp on front end parts or brake parts by buying off brand stuff. While you are in that deep is a good time to check to see if the seals in the transmission are leaking where the axles plug in. If so it will be a good time to change them.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Ronnie.

Are wheel bearings usually the same for all four tires, or are they fronts and rears?

27 minutes ago, Clay-Goose-Davis said:

Thanks Ronnie.

Are wheel bearings usually the same for all four tires, or are they fronts and rears?

I assume you are talking about the hub with bearings already installed so all you have to do is bolt it on. That is what most people do. Front and rear hubs are different. The front has the drive axle going through splined hole in the  center. The rear doesn't. Whatever brand you buy be sure it has the toothed reluctor ring on it for ABS

• Thanks 1

You usually have a selection of brand name vendors within  RockAuto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The wheel bearings were in good shape.

I’ve replaced the output seals, axles, sway bar bushings and end links, inner and outer tie rods, and ball joints. All on both sides.

Everything went ok besides the ball joints I selected being too tight a fit and rubbing on the passenger side.IMG_1853.thumb.jpeg.89a88cb659f43438ae7aaa97e1328f7c.jpegIMG_1852.thumb.jpeg.baeb07468dfddeb26560a3f0243b8b2c.jpeg

There was only one AC Delco ball joint left on Rock Auto so lazily I went with the Mevotech ones rather than trying to find and order another one. Thankfully I have another passenger side axle I bought from Jim Finn that I’ll swap this damaged one out with.

If anyone has replaced their ball joints, what part did you use?