Replacing starter

Clay-Goose-Davis

How similar is this 90 LeSabre job to a 91 Reatta? 

Basically the same. On a Reatta, there is also a removable vented plastic panel in the space between the crossmember and the radiator. It is hard to know for certain based on those camera angles, but I am pretty sure there is less space available forward of the crossmember on a Reatta. That appeared to be standard type starter and all of the Reatta's where I have accessed the starter are a bit smaller gear reduction types. Both types appear in the FSM, al least for 1990. I honestly cannot remember if there is sufficient room to pull the starter out the bottom as shown or if I had to take it out the top after removing the puller cooling fan😖

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks 2seater, I’ll take another look at it as soon as I can. I tried today but it’s 1 degree and parked in the lot behind my place. Not fun 

Starter comes out of the bottom. Sent to you from Hanoi, Vietnam...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

Bucao thanks

6 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

I thought I was going to get a free extended vacation there back in the early '70s but apparently I didn't qualify. They sent me a 1-H card instead.

• Like 2

I had to register for the draft, but then they cancelled the draft. Graduated High School in 75 so I was a "Fortunate Son"...

• Like 2

I got the starter changed and it started without hesitation after sitting for two weeks in -30 / -10 degree weather. Pretty cool.

I had to drop the vented plastic panel to reach the bolts for the positive and negative connections and the short bolt on the starter. 

The job wasn’t too bad, I only needed a few different sockets, and two socket extensions to reach the two bolts holding in the starter. They were pretty locked in place though. I ended up putting my biggest socket on the 18 inch extension and putting it over the handle of my ratchet to make an on the spot breaker bar. The only other thing that gave me trouble was reaching the 10mm bolt on the dust cover more toward the front of the car.  The bolt holds down the cover and a little wire clamp. The wire guard housed inside the clamp is right in front of the bolt and hard to move. 

In total, in the snow, it took two hours to get the old starter out, a cup of hot chocolate, two old ladies asking me what I was doing outside, and about fifteen minutes to put the new one in and get everything back together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Clay-Goose-Davis said:

The only other thing that gave me trouble was reaching the 10mm bolt on the dust cover more toward the front of the car.  The bolt holds down the cover and a little wire clamp. The wire guard housed inside the clamp is right in front of the bolt and hard to move. 

I know what you mean about that bolt, unfortunately. 😬

It sure is something you only want to do once

• Like 1
  • Agree 1