1988 Reatta has no high beam headlights

CZ8667

Hello everyone.  This is my first post.  I just took delivery of my 1988 Buick Reatta.  Its red with a grey interior.  In researching my model, I soon learned it was one of the early ones as it has the 2 material interior (leather/suede).  I've owned a 1987 Buick Rivera and a 1996 Rivera in the past.  Loved them both.  I guess you can call me a bit of a Buick fan as I also have a 1987 Grand National.   There is something about the 3800 motor. 

Anyway, in going over the Reatta I found the highbeam headlights are not working. I have already tired turning the fog lights on and off.  It seems there is no 'click' when I pull back the lever. Can it be in the switch mounted in the steering column?  Or is there a relay I'm missing?  Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Chris

Interesting you have that problem as I have just experienced the same problem on my just purchased 1999 Buick Regal. I will be showing it to Kendall [my mechanic friend] and will get an opinion. I believe the lever to be the issue.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:42 PM, CZ8667 said:

Hello everyone.  This is my first post.  I just took delivery of my 1988 Buick Reatta.  Its red with a grey interior.  In researching my model, I soon learned it was one of the early ones as it has the 2 material interior (leather/suede).  I've owned a 1987 Buick Rivera and a 1996 Rivera in the past.  Loved them both.  I guess you can call me a bit of a Buick fan as I also have a 1987 Grand National.   There is something about the 3800 motor. 

Anyway, in going over the Reatta I found the highbeam headlights are not working. I have already tired turning the fog lights on and off.  It seems there is no 'click' when I pull back the lever. Can it be in the switch mounted in the steering column?  Or is there a relay I'm missing?  Any help would be appreciated!!

Do BCM input test BI79 while moving the lever back or forward. If the display goes from HI to LO and vice versa, then the switch is fine. In that case, it could be relay E in the fuse panel on the side of the console. 

I put the car in the service mode and found the highbeam switch is bad.  Already have a new one.  Its putting it in that will be the issue.  I have a mechanic buddy that is going to help with fix some of its small issues.

Thanks again.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1