Sending unit problems.

Corbym

I know this is a common issue, but is there any sort of replacement or replacement parts for the sending unit that will work? any help will be appreciated.

27 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Please specify which sending unit. 

Sorry, a fuel sending unit for an 88

• Thanks 1

Dorman 692-102 is a perfect fit however your fuel gauge will inaccurate after install. On my car my gauge will show  empty when I have about 4 gallons left. As I have an '89 and you and '88 you can use the info on the CRT to see how many gallons are left. I always fill to full and monitor fuel usage to be sure how much gas I have left.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

As I have an '89 and you and '88 you can use the info on the CRT to see how many gallons are left.

Wouldn't the gallons left reading be inaccurate to? I assumed that reading is calculated in part with info from the new sending unit you installed in the gas tank? Just wondering.

No Ronnie it reads gallons used. that's why whenever I fill up I push the button to clear everything up. As a sidebar there is something like out of a Seinfeld episode [Kramer test driving a car with a salesman] driving a car with the gauge showing empty.

• Haha 1

Cool. The sending unit on my truck has been bad since I've owned it. I just reset the trip meter when I fill up, drive 450 miles, do it again. It holds 26 gallons, so I still have a good amount of gas left refilling at 450 miles.

That Seinifeld episode  was pretty edgy.   The salesman was initially tentative about driving with little or no gas, but as Kramer kept driving, the salesman became enthusiastic and wanted to see how far they could drive with fuel gauge = 0.   I wonder if your passengers react the same way......?

• Haha 1

People riding with me have mentioned the low fuel light being on. I have a piece of black tape over the light so I can't see it, but it can be seen from the passenger seat. I just tell them I will stop at the next service station and then I drive by all the stations like I've forgotten about it. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2