New windshield washer pumps leak

Edsel-to-Reatta

The outlet nipple on the original windshield pump in my 1990 Reatta broke, dumping the fluid out. 

There are several choices for new pumps on Amazon ranging from $8.59 for an unknown brand to $28.05 for AC Delco. Regardless of brand, they are all made in China. I bought the cheap one, which leaked within minutes after installation. Thanks to Amazon's return policy, I sent it back for a refund and bought the more expensive AC Delco which also leaks.

There are "weep holes" around the circumference of the pumps which are apparently intended to keep the electric motor from being flooded if an internal seal in the pump fails. The AC Delco pump leaks at weep holes on both sides of the pump. I thought maybe the pump needed to be run to prime it and lube the seals, then maybe the leaks would stop. So I connected 12v to the Delco pump on the bench and it pumps strong but still leaks at the weep holes. The leaking Delco pump will be returned and I will try yet another pump brand on Amazon. It's quite possible every pump regardless of brand comes from the same factory in China.

Any thoughts about what's causing the weep hole leaks? I am using Rain-X windshield washer solvent. Maybe I should try a different brand in case the Rain-X stuff isn't compatible with the seals in the pumps.

See the photos.There are several weep holes on the circumference of the pump. Circled in red.

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

UPDATE: after dealing with two defective leaky new windshield washer pumps, I finally have a winner! 3rd time is a charm.

The $28 AC Delco was a dud...leaked from the weep holes just like the first no-name $8 pump. Glad I bought from Amazon, easy refundable returns on the leaky duds.

This one works, no leaks and pumps strong for $9.99 from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078XY4V3Y?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2