Teves Master Cylinder leak

DAVES89

2 seater tells me all the time that I am the guy that learns first the quirks the Reatta develops because of the miles I have on the Red [329,xxx of today]. Well today I learned another new thing. The plastic Teves reservoir is held in place with rubber grommets on two points on the top of the Master Cylinder. These grommets are also seals to keep the brake fluid from leaking onto the MC and then onto the ground. I went to Kendalls with my back up Teves MC and we compared the replacement units grommets to the original one on the car.  The replacement unit grommets were soft and pliable, the original unit grommets were hard and cracked. So we swapped the grommets, saving me swapping out the entire Teves unit. 

Later this week I will be going to Gibson's the local You Pick yard for more grommets. One pair to make my back up complete again and another pair for "just in case". 

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 4

I got back from Gibson's after getting those grommets. There were 5-6 Reattas and a couple of Rivs with the Teves brake system. I only got one set of grommets as I just couldn't see taking apart a Teves unit [and then probably ruining it] just for some rubber grommets. So I went to the local Buick dealer and tried to order these grommets. As you might guess they are discontinued, however there is one GM repair kit left in the country that includes the grommets so I bought it.

I'll just add it to my other parts that I may never need, but if I do, I'll be all set.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I just got that order finalized . 2 grommets and one reservoir  cap for $63.00 delivered. The 2 grommets and pigtail I got from Gibson's yesterday were free [Counter guy said "Merry Christmas" I guess it pays to be a frequent shopper]. Seems like a lot of money but they are new and the last set as shown on the Buick Dealer parts network.

Like I said parts I may never need but at least I have spares.

With the new ones and the 2 used ones that's $15.00 per grommet...

Edited by DAVES89
  • Like 1

The order I placed [2 grommets and the reservoir cap] has been "delayed" in Chicago. It was shipped via Fed ex. I have had this happen before so I am pretty sure I will never get it.

Just received another email from Fed ex. It's out for delivery so maybe I'll get it after all.

Arrived today. I must not have heard correctly as I got the gaskets I was after and the reservoir. I did not get the cap so I think I did better then I thought.