Car wont start when hot?

zacreep

I recently bought a 1989 Reatta, and so far its been treating me well, but I've had one recurring problem that I cant find the solution to.

The car will always start first try when its cold, but after I drive around a while and it gets hot and I turn it off, it wont start again. The engine cranks and I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I move the ignition switch to the second position, but when I turn the key it just keeps cranking. Sometime it will start for a few seconds and then die again, even when I give it gas. Today I drove it a lot further and longer than I have before and then went to a drive thru where it stalled on me. This was the first time its ever stalled while running, usually it runs fine but will have trouble starting after being turned off.

I cleaned my ICV because I heard it could be that, but that didn't seem to help. I have some codes I got from my diagnostic screen and maybe one of these would have something to do with it?

E022 - Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Too Low

E039 - TCC Circuit

E042 - Ignition System

B119 - Twilight Sentinel Photosensor Circuit Problem

B448 - Very Low A/C Refrigerant Pressure

B552 - BCM Memory Reset Indicator

C553 - CRTC Memory Reset Indicator

These are all the codes that I have.

Has anyone else had this problem or similar? I'm guessing it would be the E042 code that would be most relevant?

Sounds like the Ignition Control Module and coils. Look for green goo on the lower radiator hose which is an indication that the module is failing.

Edited by DAVES89
  • Agree 1

That's probably the lower hose😖 The other temperature culprit could be the crank sensor, but look for sticky goo between the halves of the coil pack and ignition module first.

20 hours ago, 2seater said:

That's probably the lower hose😖 The other temperature culprit could be the crank sensor, but look for sticky goo between the halves of the coil pack and ignition module first.

Just wondering since the other guy also told me to check for green goo on the radiator hose and that its most likely my ICM/Coils. You said its most likely the lower hose but I should check for goo between the halves of the coil pack, So is the goo coming from the coil pack and dripping down onto the radiator hose? and by the two halves do you mean like inbetween the ICM plate and coil pack where the connectors are? Thanks for your help.

Yes to all comments. The other guy is a friend of mine so the comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I should clarify that the sticky goo applies to the original Magnavox style ignition, where the coils are contained in one solid block. If you have the later Delco style ignition, with three individual coils, the goo comment does not apply and it is more likely the crank sensor is failing.

4 hours ago, zacreep said:

So is the goo coming from the coil pack and dripping down onto the radiator hose? and by the two halves do you mean like inbetween the ICM plate and coil pack where the connectors are?

The goo comes from inside the Ignition Control Module and drips down on the radiator hose. It will also get on the electrical connector sometimes. Red arrow shows what you are looking for. Second photo shows where it's coming from.

ICM-magnavox-goo.jpg

ICM-magnavox-4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1