1991 Driver Door Lock Sluggish

Ohjai

The drivers door lock does not always fully unlock when put into park. Most of the time it will work if I unlock it manually, but it does not always fully unlock.

I

have the door card removed and pictures showing the mechanisms.

My first question is is there a replacement bushing available, if so where?

Second question, do I need to adjust the yellow actuator?

1991 Reatta Door Lock 6.jpg

1991 Reatta Door Lock 5.jpg

1991 Reatta Door Lock 4.jpg

1991 Reatta Door Lock 3.jpg

1991 Reatta Door Lock 2.jpg

1991 Reatta Door Lock 1.jpg

Well the job is complete, almost.  I have a piece of trim to fix.

The yellow lever in the last two pictures is fine, no need to alter it.  The problem was two fold.  The lock mechanism was gummed up.  Cleaned it by spraying Kroil or something lime it, into the mechanism and kept activating it until it operated easily and fully.  Then did a search on the web for the actuator.  The Buick part number is 22020256 (Actuator).  Found them from $16.00 up to $80.00.  Auto Zone had two of them so I bought both of them this morning. Put one in the left door and everything works as it should.

If you reference the second picture the grommet has a slot in it.  The new one is a circular hole.

• Thanks 3

Sorry that you go no replies to your questions. I wasn't able to give you a good answer. I always hesitate to answer questions about '91 models since there are a lot of differences between them and earlier models. Thanks for letting us know what you did to fix the problem.

• Like 1

Ronnie, thanks for your reply, I am the same way, I hesitate to answer a question when it is for a model I do not own or have personal experience with.

But I do have a magic Reatta tool, it is called a "Buick 1986-93 E Parts and Illustration Catalog"  It is about five inches thick, But it covers all the Reattas, and Rivieras of these years.

According to the catalog, part number 22020256Actuator is used on all 88-91 Reattas and Rivieras.

If you want me to look up a part number, let me know.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ohjai said:

But I do have a magic Reatta tool, it is called a "Buick 1986-93 E Parts and Illustration Catalog"  It is about five inches thick, But it covers all the Reattas, and Rivieras of these years.

If you want me to look up a part number, let me know.

Jim

I have the same catalog, too.  I ditto Jim's offer if anyone needs a part number from the catalog.

• Like 2

Sorry I am late to the game. In picture 2 if you put a real small diameter piece of hose on the the metal part that goes into that rubber boot you will have no more problems. The actuator never goes bad, that slit in the grommet just gets too big.

• Like 3

Dave that is so simple, I am kicking myself for being so one sided.  All I saw was the elongated grommet, and how to replace it, not the simple solution you have.  Anyway it is now stored here for all those in the future that use the search function of this forum.