1988 Freon 12 ac charge

Gregoryb

Anyone roughly know how many cans of r12 it take to fill the ac from empty?

I know pressure should be around 35 psi

2.375 pounds of R-12 is used in the 91 Reatta.

If your system is empty, be sure you evacuate the system with a vascuum pump for about 30 minutes.  Then be sure it hold the vacuum.  If it does not hold a vacuum, you have a leak and all your precious R-12 with disappear..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gregoryb said:

It’s not so how many?

It's not doing what?  And how many of what? Please make it clear what you are talking about.

6 hours ago, Gregoryb said:

The ac is not empty and the ac is not leaking sorry Ronnie

I would buy 2 cans of Freon if the system is just low on Freon. You might not need to add all of the second can. The compressor must be running when you are adding Freon. Otherwise you won't be getting an accurate reading on the gauge and the Freon won't go in enough to fully charge the system.

Open the doors or roll the windows down so the compressor doesn't try to cycle on and off as you add Freon. If it's a really hot day I put a box fan in front of the car to help keep the condenser in front of the radiator cool. I usually put the can of Freon in a container of hot water. Doing that causes the Freon in the can to expand and go into the system faster as the Freon in the can gets low.

With the compressor running, keep adding Freon until the pressure is in the correct range on the low side pressure gauge and the air is cold coming out the vents. If the system is in good working order, the temperature from the vent should get down to about 40 degrees with the doors and windows closed.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gregoryb said:

The ac is not empty and the ac is not leaking sorry Ronnie

If the a/c is not leaking, where did it go? Did you bleed some off?

I bought some of that 12a organic stuff that’s supposed to work and mix with Freon… well it don’t cool like r12 Freon so I bought some expensive r12 from a guy 4 cans.

I figured since it’s organic and safe I’d let it out and put the good stuff in.

1 hour ago, Gregoryb said:

I bought some of that 12a organic stuff that’s supposed to work and mix with Freon… well it don’t cool like r12 Freon so I bought some expensive r12 from a guy 4 cans.

Rarely does a cheap alternative work as well as the real thing. Hope the R12 works out for you.

• Thanks 1

That is why I asked how many cans of gold do I need from empty?

I have 4 now should I get more?

You need 2 3/4 cans to fill from empty. Any opinion about adding oil if you bled the system?

I have paid up to about $30.00 a can. As only the Red now is still R-12 my 8 cans in inventory should last me...

• Thanks 1

I’m sure kicking myself for putting that 12 organic crap in I was just low not leaking 😡

So I let the crappy organic stuff out and replaced with the good stuff it took more cans from empty then I thought.

It took 5 cans to get the pump to stop kicking in and out and put one more in to put me at 35 psi man what a difference ice ice baby! Way cold now.

• Like 3