91 Reatta code 16

Pices73

Hello all, need some help fixing this code 16.

To get a run down of the project. When got the car the motor was bad, crank bearings went. So I went with a S1 supercharged motor, then found out the transmission was bad, slipping in 1 and 2. So instead of rebuilding it, I junked. I totally regret doing that. I found a 90 Reatta powertrain (motor and transmission) was selling down the street from me, was surprised. I put it in and was working, but was something was off. Like the dome light will not work, the temp gauge goes in and out, and the Twilight sentin does not turn off. Then Mark informed me about the transmission different and why it was not shifting right. Thinking back I could of gotten a tune for it. So I looked for a E transmission. Found a 94 regal with 54,000 miles with motor and transmission in Michigan. Drop it in the car and got a tune from Ryan at sinister. That is where I'm at now. 

The problem I'm having is the car will work great and then will go into limp mode, the transmission will stay in 3rd gear. I still have problems with the temp gauge going in and out on the display, problem is that doesn't turn on cooling fans. The dome light works the will not work again.  I have to rest the car by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. I am getting codes 15, 16, 21, 23, 43, 68. I was able to fix 15, 21. I am checking the grounds at the moment. I just redid the one under the seat. If anyone could help or point me in the right direction. 

I do still want to do a supercharged on it. But I need to trying to get the car sorted out and driving first.

Tim

Code 16 =Check all of your grounds and then check the output of your generator. The says low voltage.

• Thanks 1

Jon and I have both done swaps and modifications, several times, but I have never encountered that many sensor issues. Since there were multiple swaps involved, are you using the original sensors or the ones that came on the replacement parts? Unknown history on them? I know the 91 codes are more extensive and a little bit different, and 43 appears to be for the knock sensor system, which will cause ignition timing and power production problems. Many of these things indicate voltage out of range, so grounds as mentioned above is a good place to start. I don't know what would happen if a non electronic transaxle is installed as you seem to have indicated. There is an electrical connection even on the non electronic trans but is primarily indicators and the TCC only. How that would feed back to the PCM on a 91 is any ones guess if it even connected up.

• Like 1

Code 16 puts you in the limp home mode of 3rd gear

Looking at the manual,

16 System Voltage High/Low --- Page A-44

23 Intake Air Temp (IAT) Sensor Circuit (Low Temperature Indicated)  --- Page A-52

43 Electronic Spark Control ESC) Circuit  --- Page A-76

68 Cruise System Problem  --- Page A-94

image.thumb.png.083d942b56ccc01856ef33d44ad343c9.png
image.thumb.png.ac4866b4391161eea3934f09e346a87e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So this is what I got on the test of the battery. 

fault is not present 

Refer to diagnostic AIDS.

I cleaned all the ground. Under the seat, on the engine (by the ABS pump), the 2 in front of the battery, the one in back of battery, and engine block. 

Ryan at sinister performance told me not to connect the purple/black wire. When repenting the transmission harness. I think it is the TCC brack switch, we said I don't need,plus transmission doesn't have it. The trans tag is a 5BLW.

Think that might be the problem with the transmission or have a broken wire in the engine harness. The temp sensor might be at play, because on the dash it keeps going out and in and not turning on the fans. When got the car the first time the previous owner told me that he jumped the fans to the battery to run all the time. 

Sensor on the motor are mostly from the 91. The MAF is a 95.

This is the purple black wire. That I do not have plugged in. The transmission doesn't need it to work. 

PXL_20231119_162445978.jpg

Ryan is the right source to talk with. All of the 3800 MAF sensors through the 94 Series One are compatible as far as frequency response goes. The configurations do change from the pre Series 1 to the Series 1. 1995 is a changeover year and the S/C engine was still Series 1, the N/A engine is a Series 2 in 95. I do not know if the N/A sensor from 95 is compatible or not. Ryan will know. Since the engine was removed, I am sure you accessed the ground stud on the top of the passengers rear corner, behind the power steering pump on the N/A engine.