1991 Coupe Instrument Panel went blank.

Ohjai

My son has our 91 Coupe in New Orleans.  Today as he was driving the instrument panel went blank, the AC and radio also quit.  When he stopped at a stop light everything started working again.

Yesterday he drove it 700 miles from St. Louis to New Orleans without an issue.

Any suggestions of where to look?

Jim

I'm not sure about the '91 models, but on other models the electronics have dedicated ground terminals near the battery that have been known to corrode and/or get loose. Since your problem is intermittent I would start by cleaning all grounds to eliminate that as the cause of your electrical issues.

More information about it can be found here:

Reatta Owners Journal - Ground Terminals & Junction Box Location

• Like 2

I agree with Ronnie.  With the IPC, radio, and HVAC units all failing at the same time it does sound like a loose ground connection.  Also, he might pull the IPC from the dash and clean that wire connection.   

• Like 3

If it turns out to be a problem with the IPC there is a group that does a repair service through ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/180679170713?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gP7HehltTgC&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=Y1qCGKerT_i&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have not tried them but they have many satisfied reviews.  If I recall they had a more expensive option where you could buy a repaired unit rather than sending yours in.  It might have even included a core that you get back if you then send your broken one in. I considered using their service on mine, but I elected to purchase a working one from Jim Finn.  If it ever goes out again I think I will give them a try. 

All that said, try what the others have suggested first. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the car back in St. Louis after the IPC failure in New Orleans.  The issue never reoccurred.  I have the battery out and cleaning the ground terminals.  Two of the studs have some kind of locking washer that is between the larger gauge wire and the smaller ones.  This washer is locked down and I can't seem to be able to pry it loose.  Is there a trick to getting this stubborn washer off?

Well I got those stubborn washers off by using a hammer and chisel.  Can't for the life of me figure out why a steel washer was installed between ground wires.  Seems to me the steel washer would act as a resistor between the terminals.

But all is well.  I have polished the wires going to the 3 ground studs.

• Like 1